Sign in to follow this  

Short box and pulling a camper with two bikes in the truck?

My uncle has a crew cab 4door chevy 1500 short short box. We are trying to figure out how to haul both are bikes in the back of the truck with the tail gate off because the tail gate will hit the camper if you turn to sharp:banghead:. If you take the tail gate off the tires of are bikes rest on the bumper but is defficult to tye the bikes down so i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what did you do to make it work? Your input would be much appreciated... thanks.

Edited by racercolt45

i've got a 4 door 2500 short box so i think they're about the same bed wise. i was thinking you could just put both front wheels centered behind the cab and angle the bikes so the rear wheels are in both rear corners. that should give you enough room to close the tail gate no?

i've got a 4 door 2500 short box so i think they're about the same bed wise. i was thinking you could just put both front wheels centered behind the cab and angle the bikes so the rear wheels are in both rear corners. that should give you enough room to close the tail gate no?

nope, the 2500 short beds are longer then the 1500 4 door pickups...

this is what i was talking about...

2407112c.jpg

but maybe you could try something like this too...

am-1.jpg

Yeah maybe the second one you posted but the first one would not work because i have a truck just like that and do the same thing but hes got the crew cab 4door and the bed is about a foot shorter i think.. Its so stupid, chevy should have put one size short bed on all there trucks.

I was just wondering if anyone has made a bed extender or somthing to put your back tires on?...

I put both bikes in with the tailgate on. After striping the bikes down I use two straps to hold the tailgate up against the rear tires. The tailgate is not shut but it is out of the way...

I put both bikes in with the tailgate on. After striping the bikes down I use two straps to hold the tailgate up against the rear tires. The tailgate is not shut but it is out of the way...

yeah thats the way i do it in my truck but his bed is shorter then my short box. Maybe i can get both wheels angled enough but i dont think so.

I'm not sure of the size of the short box on the chevy's but my brother has the 4 door short box titan and you can fit a bike in diagonaly with room to spare so if you put one bike in sideways forward and the other in backwards that might work

I have a short bed PU and I load the bikes with the front wheels turned at full lock into the corners of the bed, this puts the bikes far enough forward that I can lift the tail gate up to the rear wheels of the bikes. I then use a pair of tie downs to hold the tail gate against the rear wheels. One hook of the tie downs snaps into the tail gate latch and the other hook goes to a tie down eye inside the bed (Chevy). This setup also keeps loose stuff in the bed from falling out. My loading ramps are cut to fit inside the bed. Works great.

I think a lot of people are having a hard time understanding that a 4 door chevy half ton has a shorter bed than other pickups. a standard bed is roughly 8 feet long with a short bed being roughly 6 feet long. on a half ton chevy and GMC 4 door the bed is just over 5 feet in length. almost a foot shorter than a regular short bed. that is why the problem of loading two bikes in the bed without a tailgate is a problem. so even if your brother, your cousin, your uncle and his dog can do it in their short bed pickups it is not the same with a General Motors 4 door half ton. i think GM was dumb for doing that but what can you do?:banana:

i dont have an answer for you but good luck and if you figure out something that works good put a picture of it up

I think a lot of people are having a hard time understanding that a 4 door chevy half ton has a shorter bed than other pickups. a standard bed is roughly 8 feet long with a short bed being roughly 6 feet long. on a half ton chevy and GMC 4 door the bed is just over 5 feet in length. almost a foot shorter than a regular short bed. that is why the problem of loading two bikes in the bed without a tailgate is a problem. so even if your brother, your cousin, your uncle and his dog can do it in their short bed pickups it is not the same with a General Motors 4 door half ton. i think GM was dumb for doing that but what can you do?:banana:

i dont have an answer for you but good luck and if you figure out something that works good put a picture of it up

LOL, I was beginning to think i was crazy! Im glad you understand my situation. I guess i will just have to come up with somthing on my own. I will keep y'all posted thanks for the replies

Like others have said, tie your tailgate up tight to the rear tires, but be careful you're not in that 'sweet spot' for a removable tailgate. How about loading backwards, forks turned and tied off to end of the box by the tail light?

Otherwise there's always the duel reciever hitch from places like Cabellas that should open a lot of options.

my truck

newgraphic12.jpg

His truck but u cant really tell but the back tire is almost a inch from the end of the tailgate.

randystruck.jpg

Those are cool but its almost over kill for us tho and way more money than we would want to spend. It is a good idea tho..

I would cut a piece of ply wood to the right lenth. Done.:banana:

yeah actually thought about that it might just work. or put a 2x4 on the bumper so the wheels can rest.

Those are cool but its almost over kill for us tho and way more money than we would want to spend. It is a good idea tho..

I am in the market for a truck and have looked at a few different ones. Why in the hell can't you get a 1/2 ton 4 door pickup with a long bed? Which means I would need to get a 3/4 ton truck so I can get 4 doors and a long bed, and if I am going to get a 3/4 ton truck, I might as well get a diesel, etc... I priced out a few trucks at $60K.

I hear you on the bed issue. I have 3 bikes to haul (KTM 200exc, ttr90, xr50r)and will soon have that along with 2 quads, so I am really screwed. I think you could build that "monsterhauler" for a lot less than what they are selling for though. I/we may have to get creative.