Sign in to follow this  

Cam timing chain

Ok I have an 05 and I just purchased a "PRO X" chain what I'm curious is what all will i need to replace it?

what kind of gaskets, etc? Do i have to pull off the side case or can i drop/fish it down inside and work it untill on the teeth of the crank?

Help please!

You are going to need at LEAST the head and crankcase cover gaskets. MIGHT be able to get away with not having to pull the cylinder off. you will need to remove the crankcase cover to get the chain on. Would also be a good time to do a piston or just the rings. Check all your bearings while you're in there as well. :banana:

I recently replaced the timing chain on my YZ450F. I had to remove the valve cover, stator cover, flywheel, cam chain tensioner and camshafts. It's a fairly easy and straight forward job, but I would highly recommend purchasing a repair manual first just to make sure you get the torque specifications right. If you need to remove the flywheel on the RMZ450's to get the chain off, you'll have to get a flywheel puller. Make sure all your timing marks are lined up properly before you take the cams and the chain off and especially when re-assembling them.

Edit: I re-used my old gaskets as they didn't tear up. I started the bike and let it run for a minute just to make sure everything works, but I haven't actually ridden the bike so I'm not sure if the stator cover gasket is going to leak or not. I have a spare one sitting in my box just in case...