Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

NorthCarolina Does North Carolina require dirt bikes to be titled?

I'm an Illinois resident looking to go pick up a vintage MX bike from a private seller. When we buy a used dirt bike (not street legal) here in Illinois we are still required to drop by our "DMV" office after the sale to show the bill of sale and pay a $25 flat sales tax, and if the bike was required by the seller's state to be titled, surrender a properly signed title from the seller, and pay the Illinois title fee.

Does North Carolina require dirt bikes to be titled?

no title but you are supposed to report the sale to the department of revenue. If you do that or not is all up to you !

Just so I'm clear on this, when two NC residents make a deal on a used MX bike, the only document in the transaction is a bill of sale, no title of ownership exists? Does NC want it reported in order to collect a sales tax?

Just so I'm clear on this, when two NC residents make a deal on a used MX bike, the only document in the transaction is a bill of sale, no title of ownership exists?

We can't register a dirtbike in NC (i.e. receive a state-issued title and tag) since they won't let us ride them on the road. Therefore, obtaining a title isn't even possible here.

You can ask the guy if he has the MSO or "Certificate of Origin" (which is the document a vehicle manufacturer includes with new bikes). In states that allow a dirtbike to be registered, this is the document you would take to the DMV office to start the registration process.

Does NC want it reported in order to collect a sales tax?

Not sales tax but property tax.

• Like 1

Just so I'm clear on this, when two NC residents make a deal on a used MX bike, the only document in the transaction is a bill of sale, no title of ownership exists? Does NC want it reported in order to collect a sales tax?

the last couple of used bikes I have sold/bought, I have gotten/given the MSO and money, and parted ways. No bill of sale and no reporting. It's no different than buying a used lawnmower or weedwhacker.

Sales tax has already been paid when the bike was new. They aren't like cars, paying sales tax (which is actually a highway use tax).

NC is trying to change this, but we hope it doesn't.

On the Brushy Mountain website there is a link to this pending legislation. I understand they ran out of time last year but it is suppossed to come up again this year. I understand that if the new law passes bike and atv dealers would take care of the paperwork but you would still have to go to the DMV for your off road tag, (sticker) and who knows what else? The DMV is required by the state to alert the county in which it is registered that there is something new to collect personal property tax on. If you sold your old ATV or dirtbike to a friend then you and he would have to go through the same thing you and the dealer went through when you purchased it New at the Bike Shop. There would be sales tax involved everytime the bike and atv is sold along with all the titling and registration expense. If I have read it correctly any bike or atv built/sold before 2005 will be exempt from all this BS...MO' MONEY, MO' MONEY, MO' MONEY.

When has the state of NC ever done anything positive for the atv and dirtbike community? NEVER. Please read the draft of this legislation on the link

on Brushy Mountains website. The state of NC gets your money but all you get is the SHAFT. We already pay HIGHWAY taxes on every dollar of gas we put into our OFF ROAD atvs and dirtbikes and the state has never used this money that is suppossed to go to the Off Road community. I was told that at one time there was over $9,500,000.00 in the off road fund but somehow it was used elsewhere. If you do not want another TAX you need to contact your state legislative representative, The Guy YOU Elected to go to Raleigh,

and tell him if he or she votes for this new tax and expense on the Off Road community you will vote him out.

It is all up to us the Off Road Community to defeat this new TAX.

I wondered what happened to the proposal. Thanks for the update.

Oh, and I should add, I just sat down to take a break from working on my taxes. Speaking of MO' MONEY...

Personal property tax is the biggest scam and racket. You already pay sales tax when you buy it new. Sick, sick, sick of it.

Personally, I think the most insidious tax we face is the hidden tax of inflation. The Federal Reserve needs to end. After we get that done, we can work on:

1. Accounts Receivable Tax

2. Building Permit Tax

3. Commerical Drivers License Tax

4. Cigarette Tax

5. Corporate Income Tax

6. Dog License Tax

7. Excise Taxes

8. Federal Income Tax

9. Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)

10. Fishing License Tax

11. Food License Tax

12. Fuel Permit Tax

13. Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)

14. Gross Receipts Tax

15. Hunting License Tax

16. Inheritance Tax

17. Inventory Tax

18. IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)

19. Liquor Tax

20. Luxury Taxes

21. Marriage License Tax

22. Medicare Tax

23. Personal Property Tax

24. Property Tax

25. Real Estate Tax

26. Service Charge Tax

27. Social Security Tax

28. Road Usage Tax

29. Sales Tax

30. Recreational Vehicle Tax

31. School Tax

32. State Income Tax

33. State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)

34. Telephone Federal Excise Tax

35. Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax

36. Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes

37. Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax

38. Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax

39. Telephone State and Local Tax

40. Telephone Usage Charge Tax

41. Utility Taxes

42. Vehicle License Registration Tax

43. Vehicle Sales Tax

44. Watercraft Registration Tax

45. Well Permit Tax

46. Workers Compensation Tax

Personally, I think the most insidious tax we face is the hidden tax of inflation. The Federal Reserve needs to end. After we get that done, we can work on:

1. Accounts Receivable Tax

2. Building Permit Tax

3. Commerical Drivers License Tax

4. Cigarette Tax

5. Corporate Income Tax

6. Dog License Tax

7. Excise Taxes

8. Federal Income Tax

9. Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)

10. Fishing License Tax

11. Food License Tax

12. Fuel Permit Tax

13. Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)

14. Gross Receipts Tax

15. Hunting License Tax

16. Inheritance Tax

17. Inventory Tax

18. IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)

19. Liquor Tax

20. Luxury Taxes

21. Marriage License Tax

22. Medicare Tax

23. Personal Property Tax

24. Property Tax

25. Real Estate Tax

26. Service Charge Tax

27. Social Security Tax

28. Road Usage Tax

29. Sales Tax

30. Recreational Vehicle Tax

31. School Tax

32. State Income Tax

33. State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)

34. Telephone Federal Excise Tax

35. Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax

36. Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes

37. Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax

38. Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax

39. Telephone State and Local Tax

40. Telephone Usage Charge Tax

41. Utility Taxes

42. Vehicle License Registration Tax

43. Vehicle Sales Tax

44. Watercraft Registration Tax

45. Well Permit Tax

46. Workers Compensation Tax

Blair lets not go bringing logical thinking into politics :banana: I bet if you add up all the taxes we pay then we would be at a %60 or better tax rate.