Sign in to follow this  

Is there even that much of a difference between any of the big four?

I am currently on a YZ125 and I rode my buddies YZ250 a few days ago and decided that I just HAVE to get one. It was so sick and fits my riding style alot more, I don't like to rev the life out of my bikes, I like to ride the upper mid rage and the 250 still makes alot of power there. And no I am not considering a 4-stroke. There are alot of used bikes around here, I like yamaha but there are some good deals on KX's and RM's as well. Just wondering if I should wait around on a YZ or if any will really be good. I'm buying 02'-05'. I would like to get the aluminum frame as well.

it really depends if there stock or modified, what mods, and what year.

like a 96 cr 250 with porting reeds and pipe is gonna be different then a 96 kx. the CR will be crazy powerful witha monster powerband and real rigid handling, while the kx will be much tamer (and better imo) all around

but from 02-05? naw not much of a difference.

id say avoid ktms (i know not a big 4) and aim for the yz.

i would just look for the best deal, go check one out, ride it, if you like it, buy it.

dont go out of your way just for the yz, unless its a bangin deal on a 05 or somethin.

but if you see a rm or kx on craigslist that you just cant pass up, by all means do it.

dont get a cr though unless its 01 or 05

yes there are pretty big differences between the japanese 4 mx bikes, there's some real bad engines, and bad frames, so search the forum on the particular bike your looking at

i read that the 1996 cr 250 has one of the most usable power bands out of bikes

but a 1999, 2000, 2001 cr 250 with aluminum frame will be excellent so keep your eyes peeled for one

i'am pretty sure only 2005 or 2006 yz 250s have the aluminium frame

nothing wrong with the steel frame though

theyre all the same essentially.

much like the "differences" between the top 4 sportbike brands.

go for the best price, and best shape mechanically. worry about the brand last.

theyre all the same essentially.

much like the "differences" between the top 4 sportbike brands.

go for the best price, and best shape mechanically. worry about the brand last.

that's not really true, there's big differences in working on them, because of the different frame designs on the late models

that's not really true, there's big differences in working on them, because of the different frame designs on the late models

he is mentioning the power levels, not maintenance.

and i def wouldn't say there is a 'big' difference in even that...

what exactly is so different?

top ends, brakes, oil, crank seals, ......

whats the big difference?

they make the frame to suit the engine design so there all gonna be slightly different thats a no brainer.

but virtually there all the same. they all copy each other anyway.

i dont know what these big difference are that your talking about.

P.S. i ment 97 cr250

he is mentioning the power levels, not maintenance.

and i def wouldn't say there is a 'big' difference in even that...

what exactly is so different?

top ends, brakes, oil, crank seals, ......

whats the big difference?

there's a big difference working on alloy frame vs steel frame, also in how they handle

and power is different across the brands, there's a few years of kx250's that lack bottom end, so much so that they are very hard to ride

my 04 kx 250 had such linear power, it felt like a 4 stroke.

not a whole lot of bottom end, but i imagine a yz would be primo.

so would that 05 kx.

megadeth,

what do you mean by working on your frame?

my 04 kx 250 had such linear power, it felt like a 4 stroke.

not a whole lot of bottom end, but i imagine a yz would be primo.

so would that 05 kx.

megadeth,

what do you mean by working on your frame?

when they went to alloy frames it made the bikes harder to work on, lot less space around the engine

the yz's are really popular in the woods here because the power is so smooth from the bottom all the way to the top

Alloy frames are almost impossible to fix also.... They sure look nice though because there is no paint to wear off...

I wouldn't rule out a chromoly frame. As megadeth stated, the YZ is an extremely popular bike for the woods.

If I were in the market for a used dirt bike now, I think my top choice would be a YZ, however, I wouldn't rule out others. I would be looking for a bike with a stock motor. And I would try to find one that maybe an older person that didn't thrash it to death. Some aftermarket parts would be OK, but that wouldn't seal the deal for me. Rather than bling, I would be looking at things like the wear on bearings, any unusual movement in the axles, and steering stem, things like that.

when they went to alloy frames it made the bikes harder to work on, lot less space around the engine

the yz's are really popular in the woods here because the power is so smooth from the bottom all the way to the top

oh i see what you mean. i thought you meant you were actually working ON the frame itself, for some reason. lol

even the simplest task like switching plugs is almost impossible.

I know you are looking at 02 -05 bikes but my brother in law is selling a 99 kx250 for around $1K.

It's in my garage right now. It needs tires and cleaned up but it's a nice bike for the price.

You sound like you have your eyes on a Yamaha. I am not brand biased, owned all of them but Kawasaki, rode alot of them though. Thats all my buddies ride. Here's my take on all the 250s.

Yamaha's are a very good overall package, probably the most suiting to the biggest majority of riders, and work well on multiple types of terrain. Motor is very linear, and suspension is predictable.

Kawasaki- Motor is lacking. Handles decent, but overall I feel like the bikes are made "cheap". Suspension is mid pack, doesn't handle awful, but there is certainly better. This would be my last pick.

Honda- Bikes feel nice, handle good, motor isn't so great. It's picky with jetting, and the case reed induction is a disaster IMO. Good brakes, good suspension.

Suzuki- This would be my pick. They out corner all the others, but do give up a small amount of high speed stability due to the cornering. Motor is right up there with the YZ, not as linear but is certainly still very ridable. They are midrange monsters. Suspension can be a little finicky, but can be easily sorted.

Now for the personal experience... Owned an 05 YZ125. Loved it but hated it also. Suspension was great as mentioned above, awesome power, super light weight. BUT.... It had a problem with 2 things that drove me away from the Yamaha when I went 250. First off, the jetting was never good, it was very picky, didn't matter what I tried, one day it would run great and the next it would give me lots of trouble, with the same weather conditions. Second, the shifter was always coming loose. New shift shaft, new shifter, nothing worked. Cost me a race once actually, it stripped completely in the middle of a GNCC, so I was stuck in second gear. :lol:

My picks:

1. RM250

2. YZ250

3. I wouldn't consider any other brands, they just cant compete in my opinion.

Hope this helps. :banana: