Sign in to follow this  

3-4 Day Trip Suggestions

Hi guys. I'm new to the d/s and off-road riding. I just bought a used XR650L, hoping to do some d/s touring. I've been riding street bikes for 5 yrs, with about 50,000 miles on the road. I took a trip to California a few years back, about 7,200 mi, 28 days round trip. I'd like to do a shorter version of this, but more of a d/s ride, lasting 4-5 days.

I'm itching to get out and ride; just enjoy the out doors, you know? I live between Lima and Dayton, Ohio, and was wondering if anyone had done something like this in this part of the country? I'm looking for suggestions on routes and off road sections. I'd like to have a minimum of 50/50 riding, if not 70 dirt/ 30 road ratio. I assume heading towards PA, WV, KY areas would be the general direction to ride. I want to stay at camp grounds in the evenings.

Any suggestions on places that I MUST ride or good places to camp on a trip like this? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in Ohio too. You should check out the Trans West Virginia Trail, over on ADV...that's a great 3-4 day ride that's close and really looks interesting. I'm planning an early-summer ride of it with some friends. Search TWVT in the regional forums, there's a thread for it with tracks & suggestions.