Sign in to follow this  

So I want to get back into riding/racing

Problem is, it's been 4 years after my last bike (98 YZ400F) blew up for the 2nd time and has since sat. Parts are missing and others were destroyed last year when my parents house burnt down in mid rebuild.

So anyway, I bought my own house last year and would like to start ridding and racing again (probably WORCS) but I'm not sure what bike to start with.

I'm 24, 6'2 190-200lbs. I raced WORCS and MX and did ok but never had the money to have the "new" bike or parts I needed, not to mention the time. And of course I still don't making $10 an hour with a house payment etc. I've been looking over Craigslist though and they seem to have some 04 250fs for around $1500 once in a blue moon and while I'd prefer a 450f I've been wondering if a 250f would suit my needs for now? Just thought I'd get some other point of views?

Well I picked up a 04 YZ450F today for $1750...so I'm pretty stoked! It's clean and runs great but what would you guys suggest I do to make sure she's in tip top shape for my first ride on her? Also do any of you knowif any of the parts frommy 98 YZ400F would be able to be swapped over?

i dont know much about the YZ400F, but i dont think any parts will be able to switch over. but on the 450, the first thing id do is change the oil. check the coolant and air filter too (the coolant should be changed every season) also, when you run it and hit the throttle hard, check if any smoke is coming out the exhaust, that means the piston is going (and that means the valves should be checked too, but dont worry about the terrible 1200$ rebuild, thats all labor charges. i just rebuilt my top end, checked valves and all that for 200$)

and thats about it, theres not all that much you can do to make a bike ride ready without knowing any problems with it.

congratulations on your buy, sounds like a good bike

i dont know much about the YZ400F, but i dont think any parts will be able to switch over. but on the 450, the first thing id do is change the oil. check the coolant and air filter too (the coolant should be changed every season) also, when you run it and hit the throttle hard, check if any smoke is coming out the exhaust, that means the piston is going (and that means the valves should be checked too, but dont worry about the terrible 1200$ rebuild, thats all labor charges. i just rebuilt my top end, checked valves and all that for 200$)

and thats about it, theres not all that much you can do to make a bike ride ready without knowing any problems with it.

congratulations on your buy, sounds like a good bike

Thanks for the help I'll change all of that for sure. There is no smoke that I could tell and the bike seems really strong so hopefully I wont have to do that anytime soon. Now when it comes to valves, how often or when should they be checked?

Thanks for the help I'll change all of that for sure. There is no smoke that I could tell and the bike seems really strong so hopefully I wont have to do that anytime soon. Now when it comes to valves, how often or when should they be checked?

people will usually check the valves every time the piston is changed. thats what i do, and it never seems to need more than that. but alot of it depends how you ride. as long as your not riding on the rev limiter, the valves will last forever (but should still be checked just in case)