Sign in to follow this  

Killed the battery... doh!

Killed the battery today by leaving the ignition on for the afternoon.:banana: What are recommended charge rates? I've got a napa battery charger that will do 10 and 2 amps. Possibly 6 amps. It has an automatic shutoff. The battery isnt very old < 9 months. BTW, this is the green drz...

13.2V@2A should be good enough

I know the charger will shut off when it is done, but what should I expect for time frame?

On the back of the batt. it has charging intervals, one is like 10 hrs. the other is around 3.5, I can't remember exactly but check out the back of the batt.

On the back of the batt. it has charging intervals, one is like 10 hrs. the other is around 3.5, I can't remember exactly but check out the back of the batt.

No time intervals on the battery... It is an aftermarket "Xtreme AGM 12V 6.5ah" battery. That is about all it says...

Disconnect it from the bike and leave it charging overnight. Also good practice is to use battery tender when bike is not being used. Battery tender keeps battery charged and always ready for some action :banana:

Of course... I'll hook it up. Battery is off the bike and inside. It will be down in the teens tonight and I didn't want to freeze the dead battery. On the battery tender topic... I just have been lazy! I ride it about every day. Even in the snow like this morning. I should take better care of the battery. Will probably last me longer...

Oh WOW! I've only heard stories about the Xtreme. You are hardcore aren't ya.

jk I actually had my batt. out today and it had two ways to charge on the back, I was feeling pretty knowledgeable for a minute or two (funny I noticed it as I was just checking connections to make sure).

Oh WOW! I've only heard stories about the Xtreme. You are hardcore aren't ya.

jk I actually had my batt. out today and it had two ways to charge on the back, I was feeling pretty knowledgeable for a minute or two (funny I noticed it as I was just checking connections to make sure).

hahaha. Isn't that how it works? You feel good for a while... Anyways, it is on the auto charger at 2 amps. The charger doesn't recommend the 10 amp setting, which makes sense! 2 amps is the "trickle" for big batteries and it will just shut off when it is full.

From what I understand the stock battery is 7.5ah, so I got screwed with this 6.5ah battery. Oh well!

Also, I know we are going to starting later in the morning. My friend on the ktm is missing an o-ring for one of his oil screens so we need to wait until the shop opens at 9am. Then put it together and head out. He is also considering changing the water pump gasket, as it is leaking... So who knows when we will hit the tar... Damn KTMs! Always working on the stupid thing!

AGM batteries that are severely discharged need a special charge rate to "kick start" the charge cycle. You can try the 2 amp setting and see what happens If the battery does not respond, try the 10 amp setting for about 10 min. Best practice would be to take the battery to a shop that has the proper charger.

AGM batteries that are severely discharged need a special charge rate to "kick start" the charge cycle. You can try the 2 amp setting and see what happens If the battery does not respond, try the 10 amp setting for about 10 min. Best practice would be to take the battery to a shop that has the proper charger.

Interesting... the charger is set on "AGM" but I'm not sure that it is very specialized. If the overnight setting doesn't help then I'll follow the "kick-start" advice in the morning. Time will tell. Initially the battery was so dead that the computer lcd wouldn't even read. After resting for a couple hours the headlight would turn on, not full power at all, and the lcd screen would turn on, but the motor would not turn over. It was pretty dang dead when I noticed it.

Well the battery was on the charger all night @ 2 amps. The charger still hasn't recognized that the battery is full, but the multimeter is reading 13.5 v after resting for a couple minutes off the charger.

Does ambient temperature affect charging rates? My garage is about 25 degrees f.

Put it in the bike and let your ride finish the charge.

Copy that! It's not like I'm just riding to work today. I'm riding to moab. Nice little 6 hour ride.

mine was so dead nothing would turn on, i have a napa charger and tried it at 2 amps over night and it didn't do anything, then took it to adavced auto and they tried charging it at .7a and it still didn't work. i never heard of the "kick start method" i'm going to try it now because the battey is only a year old and i don't want to buy a new one.

did it work for you??

mine was so dead nothing would turn on, i have a napa charger and tried it at 2 amps over night and it didn't do anything, then took it to adavced auto and they tried charging it at .7a and it still didn't work. i never heard of the "kick start method" i'm going to try it now because the battey is only a year old and i don't want to buy a new one.

did it work for you??

I have in the past recovered small batteries, by setting the charger to 20 amp....that would give the battery 15-15.5 volts.....which is not good...... But it burns off the sulfation on the plates, so the electrons can again wonder. One should really use a correct charger Like said above......But if that is not an option.....try this.... You need to sit and watch this.... feel the battery.....when it gets warm.....stop the cycle..... 10-15 minutes is all.....If that doesn`t work.....or the battery does not get warm after said time......hope is lost.......Good luck....:banana::thumbsup:

Erling

did it work for you??

Yep. It worked like a charm. It spent about 9-10 hours on the charger at 2 amps and then fired right up. I had a slight user malfunction and forgot to tighten the positive lead off the battery all the way and halfway to moab it rattled loose. Had to bump start the rest of the way to moab. Got into town and then figured out what happened. Got it fixed and have been having fun all week! Conditions are epic! :banana: