Sign in to follow this  

original FCR 39 idle hanging

This FRC 39 is the original carb on my 2000 kicker. The throttle/idle hangs and a quick blip of the throttle usually brings it down. This is the first and only bike I have had with a flat slide carb and it has worked perfectly over the years. It gets pulled apart and cleaned no less than twice a year as it is ridden alot. I have cleaned the throttle tube, throttle housing, bar end, has new cables routed nicely, carb body/slide and slide rollers are beyond clean and the linkage is silky smooth. The only thing I can think of that may be causing this issue is the vacume release plate on the slide. It looks fine, of couse it has wear after a zillion offroad miles but how worn is too worn? I have checked for vacume leaks around the intake manifold. I also replaced all of the few remaining vacume lines for the hot start and the vacum nipples on the carb for the advanced jetting mod. I even bypassed the hot start thinking it make have had a leak. Does this sound like the vacume release plate on the slide?

Eddie,

Would you say it is worth while to invest in a new vacume release plate based on what I have described? Or just get a new carb. I have not priced a release plate yet and I plan on keeping the Z for a few more years. Thank you for the reply.

the plates are fairly expensive.like $125.

if you plan on keeping the bike upgrading to the new style fcr-mx is what i would do.

you just need the carb itself and s/sm thtottle cables.you can use your current intake bell,manifold etc.

Thanks Eddie. Anyone out there in So. Cal. have a good spare vacume release plate I could borrow? I will handle it with great care and would only need it for a week. I will pay shipping both ways or meet with you to borrow it. I live in Thousand Oaks CA, would prefer getting a new plate right now rather than buying a whole new carb. Thanks.

Will the jetting from my original FCR 39 fit the new FCR 39MX? Or does it use a different type of jetting, thread size/length. I looked at the TT store and only saw the entire 39MX kit, do they sell just the carb? And does the new 39MX have a hot start feature? Thanks!