Sign in to follow this  

Rear wheel cush drive?

Would it be worthwhile to have a rear wheel with a cush drive for sm riding with the drz?

If I am going to have wheels built it would be easy enough to do. I guess it would add some weight to the wheel.

Any disadvantage?

What difference does a cush drive make? l live in Japan and sometimes DRZ SM wheels come up on the local auction site. ls it better to grab a pair here?

Cush drive doesn't make much difference. Nice to have if you can get one but not worth sweating. The Harley guys are riding rigids still right? Why do you need suspension (shock absorbtion) for the drive line?

Cush drives are meant to isolate the engine drive pulses and the rear wheel. There is a certain amount of shock loading going both ways through the drive line the cush drive takes that out. They also add weight and complexity. Necesary? They reduce wear and tear on the drive line not a big deal on a small light weightish single. Bigger deal on a large high Hp land yacht.

Keep in mind they also introduce another potential point of failure and a wear item. These bikes really don't need them. I'd keep the simpler setup.

Shock loading on the transmission is the advantage of using one. The lower power of a stock DRZ is just fine. But I'd think as the power goes up it becomes more attractive. How you shift, and how good your throttle control is would setermine if you need one or not.

If we all had cushdrives we wouldn't need to locktight the sprocket on the output shaft to save the gearbox.

I think it comes into play most under engine breaking on the road where grip levels are high.