hawaiidirtrider

Post videos of hard technical traiLs here

3,747 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, doniton2 said:

I now have a new favorite way to ride single track. NIGHT RIDE!!!!!! The video doesn’t do it justice. It’s cool see the other lights out in the darkness of the woods.

https://youtu.be/SmoH9y9NJh0

Yeah night riding is fun. I have a couple of night ride videos on Enduro K39 channel. When it's dusty the reflection off of the dust can make it a bit tricky, plus sometimes the ground isn't where you think it is when you put your foot down. But, always a good time!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXqZGjjmyVV5yMWQLuJ1Uxg

On 04/02/2018 at 3:12 PM, doniton2 said:

I now have a new favorite way to ride single track. NIGHT RIDE!!!!!! The video doesn’t do it justice. It’s cool see the other lights out in the darkness of the woods.

Not to get off topic but I'm working on a LED light setup and out of interest, what wattage is your head light set-up?

As well it doesn't look like you are using a helmet light?

Otherwise FUN times :)

3 hours ago, filterx said:

Not to get off topic but I'm working on a LED light setup and out of interest, what wattage is your head light set-up?

As well it doesn't look like you are using a helmet light?

Otherwise FUN times :)

I know you didn't ask me, I have been night riding for 2-1/2 years and a LED OEM replacement bulb from Cyclops, and an LED helmet light is enough to get you started. The headlight bulb is a torch ~3600-3900 lumens depending on your OEM fitment.  If I had the $$ I'd buy their helmet light too.  For right now I am using an older version helmet light from Bright Eyes, this is low-rent Chinese made Amazon, but it is pretty bright and has held up pretty well (e.g. it still works after 2-1/2 years). My battery life diminished over the years but that is to be expected, I just ordered a newer, higher capacity battery from them.  I used an old Contour POV camera mount rigged up to hold the light on my helmet, and strap the battery to my chin-bar on the helmet with the velcro straps that come on the battery pack, for strapping it to a bicycle frame.

Bright Eyes: https://www.amazon.com/l/11825086011

When I get some more budget I am going to add some more light on the bars and maybe upgrade to the Cyclops helmet light, or one I found (I think it was advertised in Traction eRag) that is a bit less.  Because I am cheap, and night riding is more a novelty than a must-do I am thinking of adding something like this above my headlight, small but bright:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/off-road-lights/7-slim-off-road-led-light-bars-12w-1650-lumens/3770/

If I needed a bit more durable, quality stuff I would go with something from Cyclops, Baja Designs, or Trail Tech.

Edit - I have an earlier version of this from Cyclops in my OEM housing, works great.

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/KTM-2014-17-Husky-2015-Newer-Dirt-Bike-LED-Headlight-Kit_p_127.html

Edited by KaToomTime
1 person likes this

13 hours ago, doniton2 said:

Ya its not something I'm doing a lot but I'm testing 36W 3600 lumen unit for a head light with an external rechargeable battery and working on a mount to move the light higher but IMO cheap/well made light and plenty bright enough. Then a helmet light but I'm doing this on the cheap.

20171004_165530-upper.jpg.aa438817194447d08b84ac33f9fa9365.jpg

20171004_201209.thumb.jpg.7983682598850ea262344291420a6989.jpg

days are slowly getting longer and summer time I can ride till about 9PMish :)

2 people like this

6 trails, I had camera mount problems so most of this is from only 1 of the 6.... I was pretty beat down last night!🤣

4 people like this

We rode a bit but not alot. We did more work..cleaned old trails cut logs etc and of course my GoPro battery died earlier with no footage of the good ride stuff. I got a tiny bit of phone camera Vid and pics.  My body is sore maybe more from machete swinging but a great day. It’s been storming with flooding for a couple of days. Phone alerts going off but today was gorgeous. It’s supposed to be storming for a couple days more . Sun came out instead. 

58EE12B4-8DF0-44BF-AA11-BC65F26FEDC3.jpeg

37F313F9-9AE4-4EFE-87D1-3D247E2DEA4B.jpeg

93064CA4-E0E0-4416-9183-AFA362A5BA6A.jpeg

86A00C91-DCE9-492F-A185-309CB43A52FA.jpeg

Look close.. you can see a few ridersin the trail 

ECF5D96E-C87A-4396-99A9-D9FB69BB320C.jpeg

06723F70-8901-4107-8695-3DBE54F75855.jpeg

A101DEE4-E436-4E8B-996C-8F8A873A9A3F.jpeg

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
3 people like this

On 2/12/2018 at 0:27 PM, Pittbull said:

Would a higher idle help with the flameouts? Not sure how distracting it would be up around 2250. I keep my 4S around 2150.

1 person likes this

Would a higher idle help with the flameouts? Not sure how distracting it would be up around 2250. I keep my 4S around 2150.

Who knows, might be worth a try but I'm afraid nothing short of a heavier fly wheel will do the job. It's just the way this motor is.
2 people like this

That is interesting. My KX250F doesn't flame out, ever. But I have a Rekluse in it now. Don't remember it flaming out before, but it's been a few years. Nice bike and nice riding.

Also LOVE that 500! Kind of like petting a tiger; never know when it might decide to reach out and bite you but great fun in the mean time.

Edited by LSHD
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Pittbull said:

Who knows, might be worth a try but I'm afraid nothing short of a heavier fly wheel will do the job. It's just the way this motor is.

It’s sort of how my 350 rr is too Just gotta ride it a little different. 

1 person likes this

It’s sort of how my 350 rr is too Just gotta ride it a little different. 

Exactly, just have to learn how to grab the clutch at the right moment. I'll get it figured out eventually. Just another part of advanced clutch control. Of course it doesn't help that this motor was never really designed for this kind of riding, Husky / KTM says they actually have a bike for this kind of stuff and it's called a 300 2-stroke
3 people like this

1 hour ago, Pittbull said:

Exactly, just have to learn how to grab the clutch at the right moment. I'll get it figured out eventually. Just another part of advanced clutch control. Of course it doesn't help that this motor was never really designed for this kind of riding, Husky / KTM says they actually have a bike for this kind of stuff and it's called a 300 2-stroke emoji38.png

Yea it reminds me of when I first got my cr 250 honda and rode trail with it. It’s reving the motor a bit more and hitting the clutch earlier. 350 is better for sure and can be street legal. .. We’re spoiled now. All the bikes are so good now with just slight differences. I see you still just touch the estart to get going again. The button is awesome. That bike still looks and works good too. 

1 person likes this