Sign in to follow this  

Afew questions before FCR install

Hello I'm going to attempt a FCR install this weekend on my 2009 drz400sm and I'm a little scared. I don't have any mechanical knowledge but have the ability to read and follow instructions. I've down a lot of searching, reading etc and I think I may be alright in doing it. Well I hope so. Ill be using the instructions that came with the TT FCR kit as a base line then using the FAQ/Install tips for most of the install.

Afew things im not to sure on

1) Ill be using the jetting as listed in the FAQ, this is

sea level/open exhaust

160 main jet

200 main air jet

EMN needle

clip 3

45 pilot jet

remove pilot air jet

2 turns fuel screw

o-ring mod

1) as I'll be putting a K&N filter does the jetting stay the same as above? I bought a JD jet kit/Kine-tech fuel mixture screw aswell so in the future if I do other mods I got everything needed

2) How do I switch the fuel tank off, my fuel valve only has fuel, prime and reserve, nothing to turn it off. Here is a pic

no7yvp.jpg

3) What does the TPS look like as I got no idea, I know its not needed but if someone can point it out, it will make life alot easier. Here is a pic of the carb and cables.

5yylps.jpg

I just hope I can pull this off, will be my first mod. :banana:

Bike has MRD/SSW pipe atm, will be also adding K&N and 3x3 mod. Anyhelo would be great, im alittle scared...

Edited by Romie

In the ON position it's like being on OFF , switch it to ON and remove your tank :banana:

The TPS is this in the green circle , follow the wire like and than you 'll find the plug , just unplug it !

5yylps.jpg

Cheers for that, life saver :banana:

do you know if the K&N changes the jetting settings?

I'm in the same situation, just got my FCR in the mail this morning :lol:

Don't think that should change your jetting really since those settings are for the 3x3 mod :banana:

Instead of doing the o-ring mod, you may want to consider popping for the ap spring. This way you don't have to worry about it down the road. It's also worth spending a few more bucks for an extended mixture screw.I am running with the Merge screw and have had no issues with it. Can even be adjusted while wearing gloves....Makes life a lot easier when fine tuning.

One more thing,....When installing the carb and tightening up the boots, make sure that you have adequate clearance between the throttle wheel and frame....Try flipping the throttle wheel a few times and make sure that the wheel returns fully to the stop.

I have a kit on the way, should be here saturday. I have the 3x3 cut but also have the stock exhaust; elevation is about 800. I didnt buy the 155 jet i think it was but i still want to stick that thing in tomorrow. Will it be okay with the 160 jet until i can get the other one?

One more thing,....When installing the carb and tightening up the boots, make sure that you have adequate clearance between the throttle wheel and frame....Try flipping the throttle wheel a few times and make sure that the wheel returns fully to the stop.

Hmmm I dont know what the throttle wheel is. Im noob :banana: Where abouts is it and what does it look like?

Instead of doing the o-ring mod, you may want to consider popping for the ap spring. This way you don't have to worry about it down the road. It's also worth spending a few more bucks for an extended mixture screw.I am running with the Merge screw and have had no issues with it. Can even be adjusted while wearing gloves....Makes life a lot easier when fine tuning.

What do you mean by "instead of doing the o-ring mod, consider popping for the ap spring"?. I got an extended fuel screw (the kinetech one) TT doesnt stock the merge one anymore and merge wanted 100$ for shipping.

Hmmm I dont know what the throttle wheel is. Im noob :banana: Where abouts is it and what does it look like?

What do you mean by "instead of doing the o-ring mod, consider popping for the ap spring"?. I got an extended fuel screw (the kinetech one) TT doesnt stock the merge one anymore and merge wanted 100$ for shipping.

The throttle wheel is the part of the carb your cables attach to. The O-ring mod is fine, the ap spring does the same thing, just a little more bullet proof and longer lasting (O-rings will dry out and crack/break over time) but there cheap and can be replaced with the carb on the bike. Be patient with the install, it IS a tight fit, but well worth it. The Kinetech fuel screw is fine also.

The throttle wheel is the part of the carb your cables attach to. The O-ring mod is fine, the ap spring does the same thing, just a little more bullet proof and longer lasting (O-rings will dry out and crack/break over time) but there cheap and can be replaced with the carb on the bike. Be patient with the install, it IS a tight fit, but well worth it. The Kinetech fuel screw is fine also.

Ah thanks I understand now. I'm guessing I cant see the throttle wheel at the moment as its under the plastic throttle cable cover which im yet to discard of. Well wont be doing the install today anyways, went tool shopping this morning and didnt have much luck, going to try a different shop tomorrow. It looks like tool shops are ran by tools in sydney. I did want to get the AP spring but like the FMS, merge wanted 100$ for the spring and screw to be shipped and TT dont stock then anymore.