Sign in to follow this  

Engine Problem

Hi All,

I have started my bike this morning, it fired up 2nd kick no bother, jumped off to put my helmet on and left bike running, as I put my helmet on the bike cut out, jumped back on, pushed the choke back in, put my foot on the kick start and it was solid, something has went seriously wrong internally.

So instead of an enjoyable ride with friends this afternoon I am now tasked with getting the engine out and stripped down to find the problem. Lets hope it not too expensive! :banana:

My first thought would be that it ran dry of oil, OR if your lucky maybe your kickstart gear broke or something (ive seen it happen before and the kickstarter froze just like the motor seized)

ok, not yet got to the bottom of the problem but I am pretty sure its not the engine! :banana:

Once I finally calmed down enough to look at the bike I found by putting it in gear and rocking back and forth I could get kickstart to loosen off and was able to kick bike over if required. (although it appears there is no spark now?) Anyway, I then decided to investigate what could have caused the kickstart to jam.

I drained all the oil on engine side anyway and replaced, drained gearbox oil and was presented with a grey paint like substance! (anyone ever seen that before?) I have started stripping down, just need to take clutch basket out and gearbox casing off to get a good look.

Does anyone have any idea what the gearbox oil being grey could mean?

P.S I am competent at being an incompetent bike mechanic!

grey oil means a little water got into it, and that you should change it more often.