Sign in to follow this  

where can i get a cheap torque wrench?

Ive rebuilt many motors just going my feel, but I would like to get a cheap torque wrench just to check things every once in a while and torque them properly.

Lot's of people will bash them but Harbor Freight will be the cheapest. You can try Pawn shops for decent prices on tools.

Check sears too. But, something Ive found with torque wrenches, the cheaper they are the less accurate they are.

Check sears too. But, something Ive found with torque wrenches, the cheaper they are the less accurate they are.

Yea thats what I was thinking. I've seen them from $50-$300. Im going to keep my eye on craigslist or maybe just ask for one for my birthday.

A torque wrench is definitely not something to cheap out on. It will cost you in the long run. Craftsman has a nice torque wrench for about $70 that would work well. I've seen the Harbor Freight stuff and wouldn't use it on anything important.

A torque wrench is definitely not something to cheap out on. It will cost you in the long run. Craftsman has a nice torque wrench for about $70 that would work well. I've seen the Harbor Freight stuff and wouldn't use it on anything important.

I got a Craftsman from Sears for $90. very satisfied so far..

Harbor Freight. I got one a year ago and used it all the time on my bike. No issues so far. Think it was like 30 or 40 bucks.

It is much cheaper to simply break the bolts and strip the threads with a regular ratchet than to spend a little money on a cheap torque wrench to help you.

Torque wrenches are like helmets. How much protection is enough? How much damage is acceptable?

• Like 1

I just bought a 3/8 Drive (5-80 ft lbs.) torque wrench from Harbor Frieght. I haven't used it yet, but it looks good.

The ones from harbor freight say right on the package "accurate to within +- 6%..Thats not very accurate..

The ones from harbor freight say right on the package "accurate to within +- 6%..Thats not very accurate..

I looked up some of the craftsman units and they list +\-4%. That said, what is an acceptable variance?

A 6% variance on 8 ft-lbs would be 0.48 ft-lbs. I don't think that is that bad. 0.48 ft-lbs tighter than recommended torque wouldn't hurt anything.

I have always did torque by feel and who knows how off I am but I am sure its more than a 6% variance lol. Or maybe not it will be interesting to see. I have a really good feel when I am tightening something depending on the torque I grip the ratchet closer to the head for delicate/aluminum threads. I never stripped a bolt etc. I did some pretty extensive rebuilding of motors without a torque wrench and never had a problem. I think I am going to take a trip to sears later today and have a look around. I know they sell some at the local advanced but I wouldn't mind spending around $60 for a decent tool.

Anyhow hope my luck is good today, I picked up a display 200cc Honda 2600PSI Pressure washer for $200. It was missing the tips, which I already had from an older washer, so they knocked off an additional 20%.

A 6% variance on 8 ft-lbs would be 0.48 ft-lbs. I don't think that is that bad. 0.48 ft-lbs tighter than recommended torque wouldn't hurt anything.

I have always did torque by feel and who knows how off I am but I am sure its more than a 6% variance lol. Or maybe not it will be interesting to see. I have a really good feel when I am tightening something depending on the torque I grip the ratchet closer to the head for delicate/aluminum threads. I never stripped a bolt etc. I did some pretty extensive rebuilding of motors without a torque wrench and never had a problem. I think I am going to take a trip to sears later today and have a look around. I know they sell some at the local advanced but I wouldn't mind spending around $60 for a decent tool.

Anyhow hope my luck is good today, I picked up a display 200cc Honda 2600PSI Pressure washer for $200. It was missing the tips, which I already had from an older washer, so they knocked off an additional 20%.

When you do it enough, you can get extremely good by feel. I used to be able to torque by hand using feel to 40 ft-lbs as good as any torque wrench. I had the added benny of knowing that I was able to intelligently tell when a little extra was needed dues to dirty threads or whatever. But that is all back when I spun wrenches for a living. These days, I use a strain gauge torque wrench, the best you can get. But that is only for head bolts or very large fasteners. Nearly everything else, I do by feel.

I got a broken craftsman from a coworker, cleaned it up and it's worked good sense

Sears had a sale I got a Craftsman one for $65, not too bad. They were reg. $79