KTM 530 EXC vs. KTM 690 Enduro R (yes... again)

Hi guys,

I sold my XTZ Tenere because I was fed up with the weight of the damn thing and it's lack of offroad capabilities. I had a 250 EXC 2-stroke so you probably know what I mean when I say offroad.

Let's face it I am a knobbies man so let's return to t3h mothership, and get an orange bike

Big problem, I can't decide between the excellent but hardcore KTM 530 EXC or the not-so-hardcore but probably more slab oriented KTM 690 Enduro R.

My preference is going towards the 530 EXC, but I have doubts on its reliability when it comes to eating slab.

For what I will use the bike:

- Offroad riding, probably sand, fast stuff with sometimes some technical bits

- Singletrack riding with probably narrower stuff, but not very often

- Trips to work, about 20 km highway (freeway you call it or interstate or whatever it is), 40 km highway a day max

- Once a year maybe a holiday trip with probably 90% asphalt, slab, with probably distances of 1250 km single so 3000 km total...

If I have to be honest, the 530 EXC looks sexier, seems like a more fun machine and it has a carb (no lousy injection, I HATE INJECTION) so I really dig the bike...

But I'm also afraid of the maintenance... I read stories here of checking valves every 15 hours, changing oil every 1200 miles... This makes it a bit unrealistic I think since I have visions of doom seeing me doing nothing else then either riding or dragging half a toolbox with me on a trip since I need to check the valves half way (I already see it happening: **** I haven't got shim XXX with me...).

So, what's your opinions?

I like the Enduro R as well but I'm afraid it's too road oriented and still has too many troubles engine-wise (after all it is pretty new while the 530 is rock solid...)

Your input is welcome!

Cheers,

Dom

Well you don't have to worry about shims. The 530 does not use them. Just a wrench. If you are going to ride any length of time on the road get the 690. I have a 450 and at the end of the day it is a bad ass dirt bike with a plate. Same thing with the 530. You can ride it on the street, but I sure would not take it on a long road trip. That would be like riding a sport bike in an Enduro. Just my two cents.

Well you don't have to worry about shims. The 530 does not use them. Just a wrench.

Your 530 must be different from mine, because mine definitely uses valve shims.

The good news is that the valves hardly ever need any adjustment after the initial break-in. My bike has well over 100 hours on it and has yet to need a valve adjustment.

I still wouldn't want to take it on any really long street rides because it only holds a little over half a quart of oil, but I have done some pretty long dual sport rides (over 400 miles) with no problems.