Sign in to follow this  

Streetarding a KX250, some Q's.

I decided to turn one of my KX250's into a streetbike. The plan is to do something like Metalman's KX250/500 hybrid in SM trim. I'd be building the wheels myself, what width rim and tire set will work on this chassis? Are forks or the whole bike typically lowered?

3.5 width up front

4.25 in the back is the norm but some guys go 4.5 depends on the swimgarm and clearance.

3.5 width up front

4.25 in the back is the norm but some guys go 4.5 depends on the swimgarm and clearance.

The inner width is 7 5/8" to the point where a 19" rim intersects the arm. From that point it tapers down to about 5 3/4" at the widest point of the tire. 120/90/19 knobby

Pics?

I didn't even start yet. I'll most likely sort the wheels, brakes and lighting first. Ride it a bit with the 250 engine, in the meantime look for a mid 90's + 500.

FinishPics003.jpg

get the warp 9 wheelset from motostrano, rig up some lights and have fun. (that way you can keep the dirt wheels)

conti SM tires. Add some preload to stiffen the springs a bit, ride it like that for 6 months then you will know which way to change the suspension. Some guys like them lowered others don't. I don't like lowered on mine, but if you look at the pro bikes most of them are lower than stock.

From what I read, a 5" rear is too wide. I saw one or two KX's with some sort of chain guide that pushed the chain away from the tire....yeah, I definately DO NOT want that. I'm thinking a 4.5" with a 160 and play with the offset? Or is the 160 too big? If it fits a 500 it should work on a 250 since they shared the same rear wheels and such.