Sign in to follow this  

450 or 250 for woods/mx?

I started racing mx last year on my son's tc250. Had a blast but a little tired of sharing a bike. I want to still race mx but also start racing a little more cross-country. I am in my early 40's 6' about 185lbs. I finish about mid to back of the pack but my excuse is everyone else is on a 450. I think I improved a lot over the year and I think I can be pretty competitive on a 250 this year but I am still curious if more power would get me up further in the pack.

I want to ride more xc and I find first gear on the tc pretty tall for woods riding. How are the 450mxer's for riding in the woods? I want to spend about $5,000 Cdn. Can get some good deals on 1-2 year old zy450's. I can also get a good deal on a tc450 but i am thinking it is geared to tall for the tight stuff, is a zy going to be any different?. Also considering a txc250, 6 gears for woods riding and electric start but than I may struggle with it at the track? So I guess I am really wondering is a yz450 good for woods riding or should I stick with a 250?

Either would work fine. i find my 450 to be a little bit of a handful in some tight sections (yz450f) and it seems to wear me out faster than a two stroke. first gear is kinda tall, and stalling can be an issue at times. i would lean towards the smoker, or get the 450 and a rekluse. if i had to buy a new bike i would probably get one of those electric start ktms. that button seems like cheating on harescramble starts.

I found my wr was liking trying to hang onto a greased pig in tight single track. Big fun if it was atv width trail, but the tighter the trail, the more I wanted a 2 stroke

450 is a bit much in the woods for me, so i bought a drz400. Its geared much better for woods riding

drz400 is even harder for me to ride in the tight stuff, geometry is more suited for fire roads, and a lot less power than a 450

I have had a schnaggety of 250 2t's and have a very well prepped wr 450 also. after ridig the wr for a full season in the woods, I promptly found myself a 250 2t for the woods. the 4t is able to make up for your poor gear and/or clutching errors that the 2t will not, but they feel like about 100lbs heavier in a tight section of trees. I am building my woods warrior now and am nothing but excited.

oh, and there is something about $125.00 top ends instead of $1250.00. I may not be able to freeze fix my 2t's pipe, but it was only $200 instead of $1000 too.

Your choice as either will work. The 250 is considerably lighter and easier to handle in tight places. For your height and weight, I would choose a XR250 or some other 250 4 stroke due to the low end torque. A 2 stroke is lighter, but doesn't have the low end I prefer.