Broken chain adjuster bolt. Help!

A few weeks ago I bought a replacement swingarm from ebay for my '98 YZ250. When I was inspecting it last night prior to installation I discovered that the right side chain adjuster bolt has been broken off flush with the swingarm threads. :banana:

Drilling it out so I can use a screw extractor has been a pain in the rear. It acts almost like the bolt is work hardening. Is there an easier way to get this out, or am I pretty much screwed?

how much hole have you managed to drill? if it is more then about 5/32 deep you may be able to drive in an extractor. if you can't drill it that deep, weld a nut onto it. use a nut that is larger then the bolt by a size or two so the weld will have a chance to bite the bolt. on your first attempt, I would let it all cool, then heat the swingarm with a PROPANE torch or acet if you have tempasil sticks around (way easy to get too hot). try to pull the bolt while the swingarm is warm, but before the bolt absorbs the heat. if that absolutely fails, as in it does not budge a bit, go to step two....if it moves, but breaks the nut off, repeat. step two.....weld the nut on just as before, but this time be ready to remove the nut while it is still glowing at a dull orange color. this may take a try or two, but I have about a 90% sucess rate using option 2.....but, each time you break off you stand the chance of losing a bit more bolt. a good hand using .030-.035 hard wire can weld it on pretty easily.

kind of a pain, but totally doable

good luck!

Greg