Sign in to follow this  

Lights going dim when I rev the engine??

Hey guy's

I pulled my DR600 out of the basement last night for the first time this year. Got it running and noticed that when I rev the engine with the lights on, they go dimmer than at an idle?? I know I need to replace the battery, but is there a larger issue I am dealing with??

Thanks

Kevin

Hey guy's

I pulled my DR600 out of the basement last night for the first time this year. Got it running and noticed that when I rev the engine with the lights on, they go dimmer than at an idle?? I know I need to replace the battery, but is there a larger issue I am dealing with??

Thanks

Kevin

According to those in the know the stock stator on the DR650 "makes peak voltage right around idle". I'd imagine the stator is wound the same on the DR600 (wye vs delta) so it would stand to reason it would produce it's highest voltage at idle.

Hey guy's

Thanks

Kevin

When I recently bought my '91 it did the same exact thing. Had one completely dead cell and the battery would not charge to 12V. At idle all electricals worked as normal but anything over 2,500rpm and the gremlins came out (dim lights, eratic tach, signals not working, etc). Replaced battery and no issues since.

_

The last time my bike was running it did the same thing. My battery did not have enough juice to turn bike over and I had to jump it. I'm sure the battery is dead now though.