Sign in to follow this  

07 KTM 525 XC-W for Trans America Trail

Looking at buying a new leftover KTM 525 XC-W. Thinking about doing some of the TAT. At least the TN, MS and AR sections. Might do more if I like it. How would the 525 do?

Looking at buying a new leftover KTM 525 XC-W. Thinking about doing some of the TAT. At least the TN, MS and AR sections. Might do more if I like it. How would the 525 do?

525s are very popular in CA Dual Sport rides however the 07 EXC is the only one you can get a plate on in many states.

It'll be fine. Rode mine to work a couple of days last week. 200+miles total. Do something about the seat unless you're a tough guy.

I posted a simlar question on another forum a while back. I was interested to know how the KTM 530 EXC or their 690 R would do for the TAT. Everyone seemed to think either would be fine but the advantage of the fuel injection would be nice through the Colorado section on the 690 R.

Three weeks ago I purchased the maps/roll charts for the TAT and I asked Sam how my BMW R1150 would do on the TN section of the trail and he said it would do just fine. He mentioned the Colorado section might be a little difficult with a heavy bike like the GS but people have done it. I think I'm going to continue trying to find something lighter and more dirt oriented for the western section of the TAT.

If you get ready to ride the TN section and need someone to ride with let me know. I'll probably try to do it in the Spring.

Probably do just fine. I have an '07 525 XCW myself.

The two things I don't like about it are maintenance intervals and lack of storage... oil changes I've extended to 25-30hrs after I sent an oil sample in for analysis and it came back in good shape. Storage is still an issue, the multi-day rides I've done in the past i've hauled everything in my camping backpack.... the weight will really drag you down after a while. There's storage options available, but it'd be a good idea to beef up the somewhat weak subframe before you do that.

That 525's real tough to beat. I'm coming up on 8000mi and it's never left me stranded. Few problems here and there, going to need a battery, top-end, and valves soon... but it's well worth it. Great bike.

There is a thread in this forum about a guy who did it on a 525exc. Im going to go find it now..

The sections you mentioned are fairly flat and uneventful. You could do it on a Goldwing, if you wanted.

Not sure I'd choose a 525 as a distance bike, it's forte is true dirt but it'll do it.

The sections you mentioned are fairly flat and uneventful. You could do it on a Goldwing, if you wanted.

Not sure I'd choose a 525 as a distance bike, it's forte is true dirt but it'll do it.

I agree with Swingset, I rode those three TAT sections on my old DRZ400... you could ride them on a Harley. Arkansas was the most scenic and hilly of the three sections. Mississippi was a ghetto craphole and tenessee had a ton of pavement. If I were to do that again, i would take a big cushy adventure bike like a KLR, or BMW GS or something. Even a Vstrom could do it just fine.