Anyone ride an 08 in Moab?

Sea level 165

2000 feet 162

4000 feet, including Moab 160

6000 feet 158

8000 feet, including rampart range, 155.

Those will work for 02-08 450r's. The x's with opened airboxes and free flowing exhaust are the same.

Those are great starting points regardless of exhaust.

I've dynoed, measured, and verified those jets at Eddie's Denver dyno before.

Sea level 165

2000 feet 162

4000 feet, including Moab 160

6000 feet 158

8000 feet, including rampart range, 155.

Those will work for 02-08 450r's. The x's with opened airboxes and free flowing exhaust are the same.

Those are great starting points regardless of exhaust.

I've dynoed, measured, and verified those jets at Eddie's Denver dyno before.

Interested in what year 450R you tested on???

A 160 main jet in my 08 would melt the piston at Denver elev.

I have had several, including an '07 and an '08 X. I run a 158 in Denver. It's been on Eddie'a dyno at 13.2 to 1 A/F ratio. Do you have a leaner needle than stock?

You do realize that a stock main jet in a 08 X is 142, and a 08 R is 178 don't you?

No I have the stock needle with the clip moved up to the 2nd position. If I run a 170 main jet, the plug turns completely charred white, not good.

The stock main in an X is a 142, and the pipe glows red as a result. That's an EPA jetting choice, not a drivability choice. That's why I specifically clarified the opened airbox and a free flowing exhaust requirement for the x. Stock Honda jetting has often been referred to as "bug sprayer" jetting because it is several sizes too rich on the MX bikes. If the '08 R came with a leaner needle, I could be wrong about that year.

The stock main in an X is a 142, and the pipe glows red as a result. That's an EPA jetting choice, not a drivability choice. That's why I specifically clarified the opened airbox and a free flowing exhaust requirement for the x. Stock Honda jetting has often been referred to as "bug sprayer" jetting because it is several sizes too rich on the MX bikes. If the '08 R came with a leaner needle, I could be wrong about that year.

Guess this is the R forum, so I would strongly advise the OP against using your dyno tested "X" jetting specs on his 08 450R while on his trip to Moab if he wants keep his bike from seizing up.

The op asked a question, and he got the correct answer. You are free to run any jet you want, and verify the jetting by checking plug color. That doesn't work on modern fuels, by the way.

I have measured it on several R's with a wideband sniffer. That kind of cuts through the urban legend and anecdotal replies. Call and ask Eddie, the jetting moderator, if you would like. He will answer your jetting questions.

Why do you guys do this to me? I feel like I've had my 08 R jetted and running perfect, now I'm questioning if it can actually gain more. Like I really need to go Mach 10 out of the corner and hit that double quadruple tabletop step-up at Mach 40. :banana: Yea, I really do need that kind of power, might be usable. I just question, at what cost? More piston changes, shorter valve life. Guess there may have to be a wideband sniffer in my near future.

Thanks for all the replies. I ride in NW New Mexico around 5500'. I didnt realize Moab was so close in elevation. Looks like I wont need to re-jet!

susco64,

when I bought my 08 both the dealer and Eddie said run the 160 main at my elevation. Right now I am running a 162 and 165 with the 42 pilot because it has been real cold but when it heats up over 90 this summer im sure the 160 will be spot on like they recommended. My 08 is bone stock by the way.

Thanks guys for re-schooling me about jetting. Took my bike over to Eddie for a sniffer test and sure enough, I've been running this thing way too rich since day one, over 2 1/2 years. Dropped the main from 175 to 158 and gained close to 2 hp. WOW! This bike has always run sooo strong and plug looked nice and tan, would have never known I was throwing away power.

Thanks guys for re-schooling me about jetting. Took my bike over to Eddie for a sniffer test and sure enough, I've been running this thing way too rich since day one, over 2 1/2 years. Dropped the main from 175 to 158 and gained close to 2 hp. WOW! This bike has always run sooo strong and plug looked nice and tan, would have never known I was throwing away power.

What pilot and needle and clip position did you end up using?