Sign in to follow this  

xr600 valve cover caps

jsut took my valve covers off to adjust the valves. I though they were all the same size per some of the literature I read. My question is do the larger caps go on the front exhaust covers and the smaller ones on back or vice versa. Thanks for the help, couldnt find the info in other threads. By the way its a 95 600r

Which part of the cap is "larger" or "smaller?" I also have a '95, but all the access caps are the same on mine. Same with the shelved '83-84 XL600 engine I have. :banana:

FYI: They don't need to go back on with any more than about 10ft-lbs of torque. They can be very difficult to remove if overtightened.

both caps have the same thread diameter. Its the height that is different and subsenquently the clearance under the cap. I wish I had a photo. between the hex head on the top and the body of the cap there are grooves or little rings around the cap. One has two and the other only has one making it shorter overall and having less clearance under the cap for the valves moving up and down.

the reason I ask is that I adjusted to spec and now I hear a tic. I thought I may have switched the caps and now the valve underneath is hitting the top of the cap with less clearance.

It sounds like you have the cool aftermarket tall access caps. I would guess that the short ones go over the intake valves due to reduced tank clearance.

I'm trying to find a photo I have of the caps. Are they anodized at all?

the reason I ask is that I adjusted to spec and now I hear a tic. I thought I may have switched the caps and now the valve underneath is hitting the top of the cap with less clearance.

Do you still have the stock cam?

Edited by HeadTrauma

I dont know whether its the stock cam or not. the bike is relatively new to me, po only had it a short time and didn't know much of the history. will the valve clearances be different if the cam has been changed?

will the valve clearances be different if the cam has been changed?

Probably a little bit, but I was asking more to figure out if the stock compression release(CR) mechanism(on the cam) was still there. If it is, then the engine must be spun forward at least a few times, brought to TDC on the compression stroke, and prevented from shifting backward at all in order to deactivate it. There is a high likelihood of the right side exhaust valve being set too loose if this procedure is not followed. Some opt to remove the CR from the stock cam and Hot Cams camshafts don't have them at all. HRC cams, however, do have one and aftermarket regrinds often allow the CR to remain in place....FYI.