Sign in to follow this  

230F Throttle Assembly Position?

I'm in the process of installing my 150 engine that has been built into a 230 and I was wondering about the positioning of the throttle cables on the handlebars. I've seen pics of the cables being on top and some with the m on the bottom of the bars. The service manual shows them on the bottom so I was wondering why some people have them on top instead. Any advantage or disadvantage for having them either way? Thanks in advance.

just route them however it works best for you, then before riding, get the bike running, and turn the bars both directions to full lock and make sure the throttle doesn't get pulled or bind up

edit: I just checked out my 150f, and I got mine coming out the top over the brake lever. Only because last time I removed it, I forgot how it went back, and it routed super easy on top and doesn't bind anywhere.

just route them however it works best for you, then before riding, get the bike running, and turn the bars both directions to full lock and make sure the throttle doesn't get pulled or bind up

edit: I just checked out my 150f, and I got mine coming out the top over the brake lever. Only because last time I removed it, I forgot how it went back, and it routed super easy on top and doesn't bind anywhere.

Thanks, I have the 230 carb and throttle assembly which has the pull-pull, 2 cable setup. I did some google image searching and some have the cables up top and other are on the bottom.

I bought a used 2007 CRF230F. The manual shows the cables oriented along the bottom of the handlebar. Mine came with them routed along the top. I assumed the previous owner rotated the cables to make the addition of the handguard mounts easier. Seems like either way works. :banana:

The 230 throttle cables are supposed to be routed along the left hand side of the frame. I have 2" bar risers and with the cables on top of the throttle assembly and the cables routed to the left of the frame I was having cable length issues so I routed them on the right of the frame instead. I'm wondering if having the cables on the bottom would allow for the extra length I need to route them on the left of the frame. Maybe I'll try it tonight.