Sign in to follow this  

some yz 125/250 questions

ok looking at a yz125/250 2005+ for the aluminum frame, i know the forks were upgraded in 06.

what i need to know is about the earlier ones, from what years are they about the same generation? 1999 to 2004? any major improvements through these years or is there an off year that parts are harder to get or not interchangeable?

thanx

They changed plastics and subframes in 02, the 2004 fork are 48mm open chamber. 99-03 are 46mm open chamber.

ok thanx, i would love a 05 or newer but i want to keep my options open, i know there are alot more of the 99-04s for sale.

99-04 are pretty light even though they dont have the aluminum frame, The motors havent changed much. few different tweeks here and there, but all in all they are all still 125cc 2 stroke, (Duh hahah)

99-02 are deffinately going to be cheaper, and for 03-04 all your really paying more for is the Year. They are still pretty much the same motor, ect.

I found myself a real nice 01 YZ 125, it was treated like royalty and it shows performance wise, never ever had a break down with it.

if all your doing is trail riding (Like me) dont bother looking at aluminum frames, it wont make all that big a differance, im 140lbs on an 01 and I can throw it around the bush pretty good. If your racing then Consider a bike thats as light as possible. (ex: the 05)

99-04 are pretty light even though they dont have the aluminum frame, The motors havent changed much. few different tweeks here and there, but all in all they are all still 125cc 2 stroke, (Duh hahah)

99-02 are deffinately going to be cheaper, and for 03-04 all your really paying more for is the Year. They are still pretty much the same motor, ect.

I found myself a real nice 01 YZ 125, it was treated like royalty and it shows performance wise, never ever had a break down with it.

if all your doing is trail riding (Like me) dont bother looking at aluminum frames, it wont make all that big a differance, im 140lbs on an 01 and I can throw it around the bush pretty good. If your racing then Consider a bike thats as light as possible. (ex: the 05)

Uh, the '05+ YZ125 motor was all-new and it still rips!

get the 06 or newer if you can. I had an 02 yz250 that I sold shortly after getting my 06, I couldnt feel a difference in weight, but I could definitely feel a difference in the suspension.