Sign in to follow this  

XR440 hotcams choices

So I currently have a stage 1 cam and am about to button up my 440. I recently found out that hotcams does not recommend their stage 1 cam in anything larger than a 426. Stage 2 is more mid and top and looks like it will work, but the stage 3 is for a big bore stroker. Does anyone have any experience with the stage 2 or 3 in a 440?

So I currently have a stage 1 cam and am about to button up my 440. I recently found out that hotcams does not recommend their stage 1 cam in anything larger than a 426. Stage 2 is more mid and top and looks like it will work, but the stage 3 is for a big bore stroker. Does anyone have any experience with the stage 2 or 3 in a 440?

I don't have any first hand experience, But have read that all three cams were relatively mild. Go for it!

hey, :banana: I like this part... Spending somebody else's money.:banana:

Kinda makes me feel like "my kids". :lol:

Perc

I installed a stage 3 Hot Cam with the 440 big bore in a 2001 XR400R. Very happy with the performance. Be sure to change out your timing chain when installing a new cam. I replaced my stock cam chain with a 2003 CRF450R chain and have had no problems. :banana:

Vegas,

After I made this post I saw one of your right after you installed the 440 and stage 3 and that pretty much sold me on the stage 3. I am going to go with the stage 3 cam. Already have the CRF450 timing chain and a ton of other mods, so it should be a rocket when it is finished.

Speed, I have seen the one video of your sons bike before.

The 440 big bore and stage 3 cam work very well together. I have read on TT that others have installed the stage 2 because they were concerned about losing low end power. I do know that the stage 3 cam adds power across all ranges when installed with the 440 big bore. I always wear a riding boot when kick starting the XR440R. If it miss fires and kicks back it could very easily break an ankle or leg. I have also read that a kick starter actually broke off on an XR440R and was then driven up through the riders calve, ouch! The video was not mine but i know the one you are referring too. :banana:

Vegas,

After I made this post I saw one of your right after you installed the 440 and stage 3 and that pretty much sold me on the stage 3. I am going to go with the stage 3 cam. Already have the CRF450 timing chain and a ton of other mods, so it should be a rocket when it is finished.

Speed, I have seen the one video of your sons bike before.

Gonna order up the stage 3 today :banana:

Vegas, What compression ratio are you running? Did you check the piston to ring clearances before you started the bike or did you just put it together and go?

I am running an 11:1 Wiesco piston and it runs very well on 91 octane pump gas. Universal Automotive & Engine Rebuilding in Las Vegas, NV does all my machine work for all my bikes and they perform all the inspections for tolerances/clearances. These guys a very good, their usual turnaround time is a day or two. They just completed a top end rebuild for my latest addition which is a MPSCR500AF and did a fantastic job. Additional mods for the XR440R - XR Only’s exhaust, 36MM Mikuni pumper, Big Gun Rev Box and K&N air filter. Yeah I know… K&N filters are not the air filter of choice on TT. I run K&N filters on all my bikes and have never had a problem. :lol:

Gonna order up the stage 3 today :banana:

Vegas, What compression ratio are you running? Did you check the piston to ring clearances before you started the bike or did you just put it together and go?

I broke the big bore and stage 3 cam in together using non synthetic 10W40 Honda oil. After a three hour break in (3 Power up and cool downs) I adjusted the valves, changed my oil and switched to full synthetic 20W50 Amsoil. :banana:

Last question for ya, Did you break in the top end first and then break in the cam, or did you simply break in everything at once?