Sign in to follow this  

Alberta Place to Ride?

I recently moved from Kelowna to Calgary and am looking for a place to go ride some trails. I made it out to the track last weekend for opening and need to get out on the trails now.... I hear Mclean is only open from May - Nov and was hoping some of you knew of other places which have little snow and are open.

ps My bike is registered, insured and got the mountain bike lights.

Mclean is good, nice and rocky. I like Waiparous myself, LOTS of hills there. McLean can be full of douchebags sometimes though. I guess anywhere can be though. Me and brentn ride out by my folk's place alot. Some fun in the quarry, and trails too.

I recently moved from Kelowna to Calgary and am looking for a place to go ride some trails. I made it out to the track last weekend for opening and need to get out on the trails now.... I hear Mclean is only open from May - Nov and was hoping some of you knew of other places which have little snow and are open.

ps My bike is registered, insured and got the mountain bike lights.

Well, as someone who has done a similar move, albeit from Kamloops, let me be the first to tell you that the riding out here doesn't even come close to the riding in the Okanagan.

McLean Creek (opens in the beginning of May) has some great trails, but you are taking your life in your hands at times, especially on weekends. There are a lot of idiots that like to migrate out there and even more so with the restrictions imposed out in the Ghost Waiprous (open year round) area. Waiprous used to have seemingly endless trail networks as well, but since the GAMP was implemented a lot has been shut down. I actually haven't been out there since 2006 after seeing some of the maps released by SRD showing the areas that remained open. I plan on heading out there again this year with some people that know the area better than I do since they say there are still loads of great trails that remain open. Other places like Indian Graves, Porcupine Hills and Burnt Timber are good destinations as well.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, there are many trials in the Crowsnest area and just to the west out in B.C. If you want to ride some dunes and don't mind a 5 hour drive, then Brule Lake near Hinton is the place to go. I have been wanting to get up that way for some time, but never had the time. Hopefully this year I can make it up there!

Even though I live in Cow Town, I still do the majority of my riding in B.C. Golden, Canal Flats, Cranbrook, Kookanoosa, all around three to four hours away and all have amazing trails. I would like to do more riding in Alberta this year simply because I want to get out with someone more familiar with the area than I am. I joined the RMDRA back in January so hopefully those guys can show me some of their secret spots!

:banana:

Cadomin is a great area, technical and rocky in lots of spots and only about an hours drive right from the Brule Dunes. We usually do 1 day in Cadomin stay overnight in Hinton and 1 at Brule and come home. You can get up to 7500ft to the top of Cadomin mtn. or go down the road some more and stay low and cross rivers all day on the way to Ruby Falls. With a bunch of stuff in between

Let's trade provincial riding areas - ha.

I never knew you could ride around Invermere and Fairmont until 2 years ago!! Early March you can ride on dry ground out at Rushmere and last year I took myself and 3 of our kids to Paradise Mine across from Panorama. My sons gio 110cc chinese quad made it up to 8500ft - still survived.

Some locals at Rushmere told be about Kookanoosa. How far of a drive is that from Fairmont/Invermere and what is the terrain like?

• Like 1

Some locals at Rushmere told be about Kookanoosa. How far of a drive is that from Fairmont/Invermere and what is the terrain like?

It is about three hours (give or take) from both Invermere and Calgary. There are many good trails and a few abandoned cabins on the west side of the lake. You have to be cautious though as there have been quite a few restrictions implemented in the area over the last two years. Hefty fines and OHV seizure can be levied if you venture into areas that have been closed off.

I have a map of some of the trails on my GPS. With all of the logging roads out there in addition to the trails, it is also a dual sport riders paradise. It is erally quite an amazing area!

I would be very interested in a list of the trails in alberta, with some maps......

Also, I was talking to some guys who say they go riding in Mclean all year round, is this true, can you ride there all year?

There are lots of places to ride around Calgary, Check out the RMDRA site. They will be hosting Wednesday night guided rides to show people trails in the area.

Kookanusa may be done for off road. They have been handing ot $575 tickets for "environmental damage"

You guys should check out where to ride in this forum most of the places even have long. and lat. of where the places are. and gives a breakdown of types of riding in each specific area.

anybody bin to Drumheller to ride? I heard it is good there to, but havn't bin there myself. I might go out to Irricana on sunday just to rip around.

Anyone riding easter long weekend? Im hoping to get my back back together and take her out somewhere.

Definitely check out the RMDRA guys. Their Wednesday night guided rides are a great way to learn the single track in McLean. It's a great group and gives you the chance to meet all levels of riders from beginner to world class pro (note: the pro's aren't usually at the guided rides). They also do a lot of work to maintain and improve the trails near Calgary.

If you ride single track, I wouldn't give much credence to problems at McLean or any of the other areas near Calgary. The only time there are serious issues are on the long weekends and even then you likely won't see the punks,goons, etc.. in the single track.

Me and tmcilroy rode Indian Graves friday, and Waiprous Saturday.

Both where muddy and lots of ice. Both where a hella good time for some easter long weekend riding!

Rode steamboat in Radium on Easter weekend. Its a great place to blow off the cobwebs and we were on Rubber up to 1500 meters.