Sign in to follow this  

2001 XR200r valve problem

Hi all,

My exhaust valve has closed up and there is no adjustment left. I am definitely at TDC with the "t" lined up. I can slightly move the rocker arm on the intake side, but even with the adjustment screw completely out on the exhaust side I get no movement, and cannot fit even a 0.001 feeler gage in there.

What does this mean for me now?

Do I remove the engine from the bike, remove the head and redo the valves?

How hard of a job is this? Are any special tools required?

I am sorry for all the questions but I misplaced my manual and have to order in a new one.

Thanks

Mike

How can I be sure to be on the right stroke?

Is it not lining up the "T" with the line cut in the top of the sighting hole?

Mike

How can I be sure to be on the right stroke?

Is it not lining up the "T" with the line cut in the top of the sighting hole?

Mike

The crank turns 2 revolutions for every one revolution of the cam. Try turning it around 1 more time and check again

Is the following information correct? I found it in another post about xr200r valve clearance.

"It doesn't matter if your TDC compression. All you need is the valve your checking to be closed. (rocker arm touching backside of the cam lobe, the non pointed end)

They say TDC compression because both valves should be closed and that makes it easier. On a single cylinder engine it takes no time but if your tunning a V8 I always do what ever valves close (round side of cam lobe, not the pointed end) Then I mark them with a paint pen so I know what ones I did and what ones I missed.

As far as the rocker feeling loose every engine feels different. Just make sure the valve is closed ( rocker touching the non pointed end of the cam lobe) If you can't get the right size feeler gauge between the valve and the rocker arm that means the valves are too tight.

I would just bar the engine over and a grab each rocker arm as the travel up the cam lobe. Up the lobe, valves open you sould feel zero play on the rocker. It will be solid. Down the cam lobe, valves closed you should feel some movment."

Thanks for the info .

Mike

Is the following information correct? I found it in another post about xr200r valve clearance.

"It doesn't matter if your TDC compression. All you need is the valve your checking to be closed. (rocker arm touching backside of the cam lobe, the non pointed end)

They say TDC compression because both valves should be closed and that makes it easier. On a single cylinder engine it takes no time but if your tunning a V8 I always do what ever valves close (round side of cam lobe, not the pointed end) Then I mark them with a paint pen so I know what ones I did and what ones I missed.

As far as the rocker feeling loose every engine feels different. Just make sure the valve is closed ( rocker touching the non pointed end of the cam lobe) If you can't get the right size feeler gauge between the valve and the rocker arm that means the valves are too tight.

I would just bar the engine over and a grab each rocker arm as the travel up the cam lobe. Up the lobe, valves open you sould feel zero play on the rocker. It will be solid. Down the cam lobe, valves closed you should feel some movment."

Thanks for the info .

Mike

basically yes. In other words you can take the valve adjusting cap off and turn the motor over slowy...watch the valve you are wanting to adjust you will see it open and close...just after it fully closes you should be on the back side of the cam and you can check the adjustment.

Thanks for the info, bike runs great and sounds better than it ever did.

Mike