Sign in to follow this  

I want my YZ back!

I sent my YZ250 to the shop almost a month ago because it was "missing" second gear...you could get it into 2nd but had to "double shift". They split the case and found one of the shift forks completly broken. Replaced that and went ahead and threw in some new rings. Was hoping to get it out today, now they are saying they also have to replace the shift drum! Dammmnit! They said they would over night it so Maybe I'll get it out in a few days...sure hope so!:banana:

This is the number one reason manuals are your best friend. When you learn to do your own work and buy your tools you save time, money and headaches.

I love my YZ250 2t and so I know your feeling.

Dang, that is about a half day job working at a two beer per hour pace.

I know what you feel. I do most of my work myself, but I can't bring myself to learn to split cases and maintain forks, so I source that out.

I made friends with the only mechanics at the shop I buy my stuff at that knows about MX bikes. When I need something done, I call him and have him do it in his spare time. No waste of time, no bullshit. And it's much cheaper, too.

I'm not much of a mechanic. Never have been..I can pull a carb off and clean it or do any simple maintnance but when it comes to stuff like that I stay back. I'm a tattoo artist so luckily I'm able to trade out work and just pay for my parts so the exspence isn't such a bummer...its just the time away from my bike that kills!:banana:

I will encounter splitting the cases next yr, as I want to replace my bottom end etc. I watched vids etc on it and with the right tools isn't that hard. I remember when I had a 4 stroke when I replaced the valves I was a bit intimidated.

You should have tossed a new bottom end in while you were in there. you could have sold the one you removed on ebay and got some $$$ back.

whenever i do anything shift fork related i always replace the drum....the drum can get beat up from it jumping out of gear...

yeah the drum is being replaced. Parts i'm only looking like 120 and I'm trading work for labor so it works out! Here's a picture of my bike at the shop, a picture of the case split and a picture of the broke shift fork....

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz30/MikeBoseman/yz.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz30/MikeBoseman/trans.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz30/MikeBoseman/shft.jpg

I'm not much of a mechanic. Never have been..I can pull a carb off and clean it or do any simple maintnance but when it comes to stuff like that I stay back. I'm a tattoo artist so luckily I'm able to trade out work and just pay for my parts so the exspence isn't such a bummer...its just the time away from my bike that kills!:banana:

If your trading out work with the mechanic just start his outlines and stop for a month just to remind him how it feels. Of course the funny thing would be to incorporate some funny word like "fag" or "gay" in a shading area before color and leave it there for a while lol!

If your trading out work with the mechanic just start his outlines and stop for a month just to remind him how it feels. Of course the funny thing would be to incorporate some funny word like "fag" or "gay" in a shading area before color and leave it there for a while lol!

lol, yeah I have joked about only doing half the outline and telling him to come back in a month. I'll go ahead and finish it up for him in one sit tho. Nice guy, just really busy now or really slack...either way as long as its done right and out this week i'll be happy. Not trying to wait any longer tho. Luckily I scored a nice stock 2003 RM250 a few weeks back so I have been able to ride that but damnit am I ready to get back on my yz!:banana: