Sign in to follow this  

Did Eddies AP mod need help?

I had the carb off to clean it and I figured I would do the Eddie mod while it was off. My duration was 1.5 seconds and the stream shot 2-3 feet out of carb. The reason why I decided to do the mod was because I know the hole on the linkage will start to wallow out and I will have to do this eventually. My understanding is this mod will eliminate the wallowing correct?

I grinded down the rivet all the way on the diaphragm and adjusted the fork so that it touches the linkage at WOT. My squirt duration is about 1.5-2 seconds but it is hard to tell because the stream is so weak that it just barely exits the carb so it shoots like 3-4 inches now. I also want to add that everytime the AP squirts the check valve ( I think that is what it is called) in the rod purges maybe 7-8 good full drops of fuel now. Anybody got any ideas?

The reason why I decided to do the mod was because I know the hole on the linkage will start to wallow out and I will have to do this eventually. My understanding is this mod will eliminate the wallowing correct?

Nope. Plastic arm is still shoving down on the rod, so the plastic hole will still wear.

I grinded down the rivet all the way on the diaphragm and adjusted the fork so that it touches the linkage at WOT. My squirt duration is about 1.5-2 seconds but it is hard to tell because the stream is so weak that it just barely exits the carb so it shoots like 3-4 inches now.

On my fcr I adjusted the fork so that the arms stay just in contact at closed throttle (without putting undue strain on linkage at WOT), and then wire the two arms tightly together. The idea behind cutting down the diaphram stopper and then wiring the arms together is so that the AP linkage is forced to move with the throttle (not just dependent on the spring) and move through a greater stroke in less time. This both shortens the duration and gives you greater spray volume (not less, as you seem to be experiencing). Since you don't mention wiring the arms together, I am assuming that you missed this step. I followed Eddie's instructions to the letter, and my bike works awesome. If your arms are wired together, you may have the diaphram installed incorrectly. I dunno. Hope this helps.

I do know about wiring them together I just wanted to wait on that step until I get everything adjusted correctly. Do you think that is what is causing the weak stream?

I cant test it right now because my diaphragm just ripped so I have to wait to get another one. Thanks for the help.

The wiring of the arms is the reason that it works at all. This is most definitely what is causing the weak stream (well, along with torn diaphram). Wire them together and you should be all set. Good luck.

it should have a super strong squirt.

when you replace the diaphrm make sure the orings ont he pump cover are present.

Well Ive finally replaced the diaphragm and wired the linkages together and now I have a super strong squirt that lasts about 5 seconds now. I dont know where to go from here. It seems like nobody else has had a problem like this for this mod.

well I had the same issue of the squirt going weak and purging gas out the vent hose after an hour of riding. My issue was the diaphragm was weak and simply couldnt handle the additional throw.

I haven't gotten one yet. It is surprisingly hard to find one in stock at the local shops. Looks like I'll have to order it from out of town.

Oh I see, I ordered mine through TT along with my case guards.

I want to add that I installed my diaphram yesterday and it worked great with a squirt duration of 1 second and it was more of a spray. I decided to drill a hole in the plastic linkage to make wiring them together easier and I figured well that is just gonna wallow out like the rod. I replaced the wiring and now its like 5 sec. So I am starting to think my wiring is not good enough. Ill check it tomorrow.

Well just an update I replaced my wiring and made sure it was nice and snug and I still have a duration of about 5 seconds. I am getting really frustrated with this thing.

Let me go over the basics so hopefully somebody can help me.

-Ground off rivet on diaphram

-spread the fork so that linkages touch each other throughout the range

-wired linkages together

Ive even tested the thing by untying the linkages and opening the throttle, then I pressed down on AP rod as hard as I could and I got around 5 seconds.

Please let me know if you have any advice.

Yup. Don't get hung up on "squirt duration" numbers, or whatever. If you've done the proper steps (and it sounds like you have), it'll work great. Test all changes by riding the bike. Just to head off a possible disappointment,... if you start the bike up, warm it up, and just snap the throttle while sitting in the driveway,... it will probably still stumble. Don't worry about it. You will find that while riding, the stumble is gone. Have fun, and don't loop it!:thumbsup:

Ok Eddie Ill try that, I think I made this more complicated than it needed to be. Thanks Brooksy for all the help throughout. This forum is awesome.