Sign in to follow this  

CHEAP First bike... What should I get?

Hey, I have never hade a dirtbike before and I am wanting to get a CHEAP ($500-600) dirtbike just for kicking around, hunting in the hills, etc. NOTHING extreme like racing, jumps, or anything. Obviously it will be on the older side (1980's-90's), and preferabley not too big... I am 21 and around 160lbs. I was looking at the Honda XR 200s, Yamaha XT 125, KDX 200, KX125... all in the '80s - 90's year range. Also, I would hugely prefer a 4 stroke engine.

I would LOVE any tips you guys have about what a good bike to start with would be! I am new to all this, and although I have ridden quads, not really dirtbikes. Thanks!

Chris

why are you looking for 4 stroke?

if you are trying to go cheap....4 stroke is not the road to take.

also, a used 4 stroke? i hope you are mechanically inclined...

I would be surprised if you can find anything that cheap, even older bikes, unless they are completely shot

Husband and I both love playing on my DRZ 125L (big wheel) He is a lot bigger/heavier than you and the bike is great for following trails or chasing the kids around.

I picked up mine for $1100 a year ago. I think it was a 2006 or 2007. Good Luck.

to get a decent bike that cheap your going to have to know the person. Or a government auction, or something slick like that.

I was told that a 4 stroke would be easier to maintain...

I believe that in a 2 stroke you have to mix the gas and oil... is that right?

Maybe the 2 stroke is easier to maintain though?

thanks!

thanks!

maybe a older trail bike, like a xr200 or xr250, but they too get complicated quickly

2 strokes do need oil/gas mixed, but if you cant handle that, your gonna have a bunch of problems trying to maintain a dirt bike

the reason bikes never get that cheap is people can part them out and make more than that off the parts

to get a decent bike that cheap your going to have to know the person. Or a government auction, or something slick like that.

Really there's lot's of bikes that cheap. I've got one for sale right now. Besides the fouled plug now and then it's never left me sitting. But prices might be lower in PA then in Cal.

Really there's lot's of bikes that cheap. I've got one for sale right now. Besides the fouled plug now and then it's never left me sitting. But prices might be lower in PA then in Cal.

link? I searched this forum but did not see a thread on your bike

thanks!

someone told you wrong.

2 strokes are cheaper and easier to maintain.

yes, you have to mix gas/oil.

if you can bake a cake, you can mix gas/oil.

someone told you wrong.

2 strokes are cheaper and easier to maintain.

yes, you have to mix gas/oil.

if you can bake a cake, you can mix gas/oil.

Yeah but the old trail 4 strokes will out last the riders.

well that qualifies as cheap, but the laundry list of repairs he will have to do before he rides will put it up there with a used MX bike late 90's to early 00's

I never said it's perfect, but is great for a beginner.

These folks that are telling you a 4 stroke is harder to maintain are talking about modern 4 strokes. The old XR's are just about bullet proof! It is true that modern 2t's are less maintenance than modern 4t's, but those air cooled bikes are great for what you're looking for and less maintenance than the 2t's. If you do get a bike like a KDX mixing gas is no big deal at all.

A good woods and bulletproof bike...KDX 200. Great starter bike if you ask me. I picked up mine in awesome condition for $600.

Best bet to find a bike now, before spring and summer get into full swing and people start asking a fortune for bikes

These folks that are telling you a 4 stroke is harder to maintain are talking about modern 4 strokes. The old XR's are just about bullet proof! It is true that modern 2t's are less maintenance than modern 4t's, but those air cooled bikes are great for what you're looking for and less maintenance than the 2t's. If you do get a bike like a KDX mixing gas is no big deal at all.

^ Very good advice. A Honda XR is a good choice, as well as a KDX. BUT, bikes in the $650 range are going to be few. You might get lucky, but realistically, you will probably have to save up a little more near the $1000 mark.

That Yamaha IT is a nice bike. I raced several IT's back in the day and they were pretty bulletproof!

Good luck with your search.

go for a xr I learned on a 1984 xr200r thing is bulletproof and can go anywhere :banana:

I now ride a 2002 yz250f but will NOT sell my xr200r the thing is amazing

Where in Cali are you? I'm in Fresno/Clovis area, this is not too far away.

http://stockton.craigslist.org/mcy/1638558034.html

I was searching around looking for prices in our area for a dirt bike to start the wife and daughter on, cant afford one right now, still recovering from the XR that I bought and paying for daughters rent till her roommates unemployment kicks in.

But a bike like this would be a good place to start and what I'll be looking for this summer.

KDX 200 1988 GREAT BIKE!! - $800 (MANTECA)

1988 KDX 200 GREAT BIKE RUNS EXCELLENT THEIRS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!!!!!

CALL OR TEXT ME 209-3906079 THANKS

3mb3p13l95T95P25R2a3a5115e985189716.jpg

3nc3k83pa5T65P05R2a3aed9e2697f14a12.jpg