Sign in to follow this  

Milky sight glass

Should I be concerned with a milky white sight glass? The oil is clear if I open the fill cap and pull a bit out. I know it means that anti-freeze is in the oil if it is all white. The discrepancy between the actual oil and the sight glass is what bothers me.

Also, my bike is barely dripping antifreeze from the water pump weep hole.

2001 520exc.

Most likely just condensation.

Some oils foam more than others also.

A slight leak at the WP hole should not be getting by the inner oil seal.

Do you know if the cam bearings, cam sprocket and guide screen have been updated on this bike?

Most likely just condensation.

Some oils foam more than others also.

A slight leak at the WP hole should not be getting by the inner oil seal.

Do you know if the cam bearings, cam sprocket and guide screen have been updated on this bike?

I don't know if the cam stuff has been updated.

change the water pump seal, it is cheap insurance, new fluids are always good, fresh seal is cheap. just do it for peace of mind

The oil is mobile 1 15w-50 race proven, API SL rated. The oil that came out yesterday was in good shape. No visible water or coolant. The water pump seal is the gasket that seals the outer WP cover to the engine?

no, the pump seal is under the pump rotor on the shaft, to separate the water side and the oil side.

lvie may be right and it could be condensation but if it is actually milky looking i doubt it

There are two seals behind the water pump. The inner seal keeps the oil inside the valve cover/engine side. The outer seal keeps the coolant from going into the engine side. That weep hole is actually the space between the seals. If you're mechanically inclined, you can change the seals behind the water pump. But you need to take the valve cover off and update the carrier to the 2003 or newer. I think L-vie is right that it's condensation. Goto KTMTalk and there are numerous posts on this very subject.

if he has coolant leaking out of the weep hole as he stated, he definately has a seal that is bad, im gonna bet that both are bad enough to leak into the motor and ccause the milky contamination...but i have been wrong before.....too cheap and eassy of a job to not do it and hope it is just condensation..imho

if he has coolant leaking out of the weep hole as he stated, he definately has a seal that is bad, im gonna bet that both are bad enough to leak into the motor and ccause the milky contamination...but i have been wrong before.....too cheap and eassy of a job to not do it and hope it is just condensation..imho

It would be very rare for coolant to get past two seals and get to the oil.

BUT. This being an 01 with known cam bearing issues, the chances increase a lot. The cam bearings need to be checked because putting new seals on will not correct the problem.

I hope I am wrong but this bike needs to be checked for the updates anyway unless you know they have been done.

I posted this exact same issue over on ktmtalk last week. I am having the exact same problem. I even pulled the clutch cover off and saw the milky looking stuff was on the inside of the cover. I whipped it all off only to see it show up again. I ran my bike for an hour and did an oil change. Oil looked perfect, but still milky goo on the sightglass. So Im chalking it up to condensatinon and am not going to worry about it anymore.

With a condensation problem, I would say that your Thermostat maybe stuck open.

"well THERE'S your problem" :banana:

"it's all about ball bearings these days"

i think it is your muffler bearing, and have you checked your schkeniktetor valve.

Well heck, my dingus pin is loose too and that may have caused it. ahhahaha.

Well heck, my dingus pin is loose too and that may have caused it. ahhahaha.

no no no you are misunderstanding the flow of that system :lol:

the dingus pin only controls condensation in the preposturous system....im just sayin :banana:

Why would removing the thermostat cause condensation? Would it be that the motor is not getting up to full temp? Not getting hot enough to dry it out?

Correct :banana:

If your motor does not get up to operating temp, then moisture will start to build up in the crank case.