Sign in to follow this  

Splitting Cases this Weekend - Tools, Tips, Tequila?

I'm splitting the cases of my '08 450x this weekend. First time I've done this on a Jap bike. I've spit (and reassembled) KTM RFS cases a couple times.

My local dealer has a service manual, which I'm picking up tomorrow. I have general purpose pullers of various sizes (and/or access to such tools). Are there any specialty tools I need to be aware of before I jump into this (e.g. flywheel, clutch basket, case splitter)?

I'll do the necessary homework and read through the service manual first to get familiar with the process. Any tips, suggestions, words of caution?

you will need a flywheel puller,

The primary gear nut needs a special tool (you can make)

You will also need some sort of "gear jammer" to dis-asemble and re-asemble the primary/counterbalancer assy. The manual suggests using a piece of old gear. I think a penny could work in a pinch.

Other than that I dont think you anything out of the ordinary aside from torque wrenches. A flywheel holder I think comes in real handy.

Can you split the cases with a "regular" gear puller? The ones I've seen used and the one sold by Motion Pro use three case screws to attach around the crank. Since what you are doing really is pressing the main bearing out of the case this makes sense. I'm about to do this on my son's KTM smoker, never split cases before, so I'm interested and too cheap to spend the $60.00 for a puller.

You should not need a "case splitter" only a flywheel puller,and yes, you need an engine specific flywheel puller.

The cases are supposed to pull apart after the bolts are removed.

I think a penny could work in a pinch.

Thanks for the tips. I've got a few of the old pennies lying around just for this purpose. What year was it they're no longer good for this purpose again (e.g. not copper)?

yeah definetly a flywheel puller,and special spanner socket for the counterbalancer nut.motion pro sells it for 10 bucks.I agree you shouldnt need a case splitter just a little patience and light taps.

So Justin how did it go??? Hopefully all is well and the x lives again!!! Wish I lived closer would have been more than happy to join you on the rebuild adventure and working on the ta -kill -ya. How bad was the inside any surprises??? Still full of dirt? Say the pictures on the D-38 site looked pretty wet for sure hard to believe that the desert. I've been in some wet situations but never that bad from a rain storm. Usually this time of year here in MI. the trails would be better suited for a jet ski

I decided not to split the cases. Crazy? I'll explain later...

When I swamped my bike I did not split the case's...I just douched, re-douched, and then douched a whole bunch more. Used 5 gallons of diesel then 5 gallons of oil + 4 oil filters:ride:

When I swamped my bike I did not split the case's...I just douched, re-douched, and then douched a whole bunch more. Used 5 gallons of diesel then 5 gallons of oil + 4 oil filters:ride:

The reason I decided not to split the cases is because I failed to realize that the head doesn't obviously get immersed in oil (or diesel fuel) like the bottom end does. When I first pulled the cylinder head cover off, I was surprised to see sand and grime still in the motor, despite 6 flushes with diesel fuel and two with regular oil.

Duh! The top end doesn't get a flood of oil like the bottom end, which is bathed in oil so it shouldn't have been so surprising to see that stuff in the top end.

I popped the ignition and clutch covers off and, from what I can see, the bottom end is spotless. Not a spec of sand, grime or anything was present.

With the motor out of the frame and the top end and side covers removed, I'm going to flush it with diesel fuel again and agitate the bottom end by sloshing the fuel around and shaking it like a mad man just for safe measure.

I really don't think it's necessary to flush anymore, but you can never be too safe (at least as safe as you can be without spitting the cases).

Motor should be back together by the end of the week.

makes sense now that you put it that way. Can you pop the seal off the mains and get a look at them from the outside? Never had mine down that far but I know you can see the ignitions side can't you? At least then the only bearing you haven't seen on the motor side is the rod bearing.