Can anyone work out what the hell is going on with these wheels???

Guys,

Puzzle for you to solve.

I bought these wheels:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-Super-Moto-Motard-Wheels-Tyres-More_W0QQitemZ180474863375QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item2a0523df0f#ht_500wt_1182

They came off this bike:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-DRZ-400SK3-BLUE-WHITE-2003_W0QQitemZ180472453527QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycles?hash=item2a04ff1997#ht_803wt_1166

The PO told me the following:

The SM wheels came on his DRZ, he unbolted them and put the stock dirt wheels on that also came with the bike, he used the same spacers on the front wheel for both sets of wheels (along with the DR-Z speedo drive/spacer).

I've tried to fit the front wheel on my DR-Z 400 E and have noticed the following:

I have 2 spacers on my front wheel, as I removed my speedo drive - one of these spacers fits into the seal on the speedo drive side of the hub.

The other side of the hub on this S/M wheel has a 30mm inside diameter at the seal, wanting for a MUCH wider than standard spacer.

Not only that, with the right hand (speedo side) spacer fitted, the wheel is not centered between the forks.

The brake disc side spacer will not fit between the hub and the fork leg, it's too wide by a good few MM!

He is convinced the wheels are a straight swap, and he dropped them off his DR-Z400S K3.

Therefore does he have nonstandard offroad wheels as well as non standard S/M wheels?

The wheels are useless to me without relevant spacers!

I feel the photos in the ebay auction for his DR-Z may not be too useful as the resolution is too low, but can anyone confirm if they are DR-Z wheels?

Cheers,

Con

ptgarcia,

I'm aware of that, but I've removed my speedo gearbox and therefore I've put an oil seal and spacer on that side, this works fine on my E setup.

Can you please confirm what you mean about the hubs - are the offroad wheels he has not DR-Z hubs?

Sorry, missed the part about removing the speedo. I thought you were trying to use both the spacer and speedo drive.

The pictures of the dirt setup don't show the hubs close up but they look like DR-Z hubs. The SM hubs definitely are not DR-Z hubs. I think I have a close up pic of DR-Z hubs to compare. Give me a minute.....

yeah I know the S/M wheels are NOT DR-Z hubs, just trying to figure out why he thinks he could just drop the S/M wheels off his bike and bolt the dirt wheels on with the same spacers, doesn't seem technically possible to me.

So either he's lost the spacers or his dirt wheels use the same hubs as the S/M wheels he had on there.

These hubs are coated but are stock:

Front hub, brake side:

P1010025.jpg

Rear hub, sprocket side:

P1010024.jpg

Compare those to the eBay pics and you'll see they are different. The ribbing is a tell tale sign. The front hub isn't even the same shape.

Which ebay pics, the dirt ones or my sm ones?

yeah I know the S/M wheels are NOT DR-Z hubs, just trying to figure out why he thinks he could just drop the S/M wheels off his bike and bolt the dirt wheels on with the same spacers, doesn't seem technically possible to me.

So either he's lost the spacers or his dirt wheels use the same hubs as the S/M wheels he had on there.

Did the seller give you the spacers? Unless those hubs are the exact same width of the DR-Z hubs and the seals have the same inside diameter, factory DR-Z spacers won't work.

Not dificult at all.

Take a caliper and measure the distance between the forks.

Then take a measurement using some arbitrary length spacers that fit the hubs and work out the length you need...

Once you get the left side correct so the dick is in the right spot, the rest is simple subtraction...

I've changed all the bearings in the rear wheek, it fits fine. Going to have some issues with the front though, I can get it onto the spindle no probs but cankt realistically measure what spacers I'll need. I'll take it to an engineering shop and get them to make some. Meanwhile I'm 21 front and 17 rear lol