New Suspension on CRF 50

My hubsand put new suspension on our son's 50. He completed our friend's boy's bike today.

Little men learning to fly now.

Our son and daughter's bikes

03032010025.jpg

03032010020.jpg

Yellow one completed today

031210006.jpg

The pee wee section has a thread that shows step by step.

Really awesome to see the kids on bikes with suspension like ours. They ride smoother.

It is a kit from T-Bolt; it is the BXR kit, Pro Taper KTM50 bars, BBR control kit and Acerbis Minicross bark busters. Works really well and is pretty inexpensive. It's mostly a bolt-on affair, with minimal fabbing involved. You'll also need a longer chain and might want to pick up a chain guide from FleaBay fro around 15 bucks. The stock front brake cable will work, but the BBR cable intended for stock forks with their BMX bars is the perfect length.

My only dislikes are:

The "bracket" for the brake cable guide included in the kit is junk. I'm using zip ties to hold the guide until I find something more asthetically pleasing.

The rear shock needs a lighter spring. It comes with a 250 lb/inch , but will work better for a kid with something along the lines of 150 lb/inch. I will find one. Also, the shock installation instructions tell you to install the shock with the resevior to the top, requring you to cut the seat pan for clearance. Toss the instructions in the garbage, leave the seat alone and instal the shock with the resevior to the bottom. Work just fine-you just have to remove the seat to get at tje damping adjuster.

The marks on the swingarm for wheel alignment aren't very accurate.

I am going to add a lower chain roller soon, mounted to the frame. This will eliminate the chain slap when the chain gets a little loose.

Overall I am extremely pleased with the kit, have recommended it to others and have installed it on two bikes so far. Our daughter's bike will probably get the same treatment in the near future.

• 1 year later...
hi i have the same kit as you..but im having a hard time putting it on...when i put the chain on the back tire the tire is tilted to the right...do you have any instructions or tips on how to put this kit on?

thanks

Ian

Sent a PM to you with link to another thread on here that has more information. If you have more questions send a PM to Bronc3.

And post pics of your ride when you have it put together.

• 1 month later...