Sign in to follow this  

Tire Sizing Question

I've been lurking around here a little while, just got my first DRZ ('05 DRZ SM), but have plenty of other toys, (sleds, atv's, etc)

The bike came with a brandy-new Kenda K671 mounted out back. The front tire is pretty had and I want to replace it with the same tire. I know these K671's are nothing special, but I'd like to wear em out and get something better down the road.

My question is the stock front is 120/70r17. The closest i can get in the front is a 110/70R17. Will this be a problem? I know its not going to be quite as wide as stock, but will is be out of the question. Advice appreciated.

http://www.kendausa.com/motorcycle/street.html - Heres the size chart for reff. I searched too, found very little

Welcome maxit! We need to know how much riding you do and in what road/trail condition, year round or dry riding only, ect. The tire you are looking at will be 8 to 10 mm more narrow when installed. That tire is built to accomodate a heavy cruiser so it may not have the cold grip you need for your area. Look at a kenda k270, it might be a better choice for Vermont.

Please read the FAQ's and the loctite fix write up, alot of good info!

The K671s are cruiser tires and not meant *at all* for a supermoto. It would be like putting knobbies on a sportbike (not that it hasnt been done, but that was awesome, this is less awesome).

I'm not saying you have to get rid of the ones you have (though theyre meant for 500 lb bikes and will probably take forever to wear down) but at least start replacing them with more proper tires. For a little bit of dirt like you mentioned people have had very good luck with avon distanzias. They are a bit pricey but a really some of the few tires you can get that fit on 17 inch sportbike/supermoto rims that have a dual sport tread.

Shinko 705s would also fit but the front tire might be a bit wierd - most 120/17s have a 60 or 70 height ratio where as this one is a 90...

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=63

I like the look of that 705 shinko's. I'm slightly worried about the height profile tho for the front. Am I really going to notice a difference in 20 mil?? What about a 130/80 in the front, and a 140/80 in the rear? Is that too wide for the front?

I love the Disatanzias, but not for the price. The price is def right on the Shinko's

I like the look of that 705 shinko's. I'm slightly worried about the height profile tho for the front. Am I really going to notice a difference in 20 mil?? What about a 130/80 in the front, and a 140/80 in the rear? Is that too wide for the front?

I love the Disatanzias, but not for the price. The price is def right on the Shinko's

I couldn't find much information on the 120 on the front - its unconventional for sure. Getting any sort of offroad type tire on SM rims is. I did come across this page on supermotojunkie:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?p=951579 (scroll down to post #197)

where someone asked the exact same thing as you. Someone on a husky SM responded saying that it works but makes the front a bit heavy. Unless you use a distanzia pretty much any trail tires will be an odd fit.

yes - really no reason to go bigger than 120 on the front.

street tires arent THAT bad in the dirt, depending on what type of dirt you are talking about. gravel roads etc or ?

Shinko 705s would also fit but the front tire might be a bit wierd - most 120/17s have a 60 or 70 height ratio where as this one is a 90...

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=63

I have the Shinko 120/90 - daddy like! I'm gonna put another fattie on the rear after the sportbike tire I bought it with wears out. Or maybe sooner if I want to do some dirt roads this summer.

809397029_C4NBL-L.jpg

809396988_Sba8g-L.jpg

Keep in mind the size of your tire and the effect it will have on your speedo/odometer. For a 120/70 tire, the 120 means 120mm wide; the 70 means 70% of the width...for the height, equalling 84mm tall. A 120/90 would be 120mm wide, 108mm tall. This will throw off your speedo and odometer. It may not be a big deal, but it is something to keep in mind. Many people do run different sized tires without any concern.

I would like to run the same, hence getting a 130/80 front and a 140/80 rear. Mostly for esthetic reasons.

I may just have to "buck up" and buy the distanzia's