Sign in to follow this  

Rear linkage seizure

the rear end on my 230 is almost solid, anyone had this before, is it linkage or swinging arm bearings, any help would be appreciated, i know its not the shock

should have took it apart along time ago and clean and lube the needle bearings. might be to late...

that's the understatement of the year. if the rear end is seized then i can guarantee that all the linkage and swingarm bearings are toast. time to get to work. take it apart before ordering new bearings though. you never know if you'll be able to even remove the old cages and races without trashing the housings.

anytime i've left mine without maintenance for even 1 season they've been completely trashed and needed full bearing replacement.

there's no way to tell if it's linkage or swingarm until you tear it apart but if you've maintained them equally then they're both toast.

a dye-grinder is the easiest way to remove the bearing races.

good luck

take every thing off shock, linkage, swing arm. if all the needles fall out of the bearings then they are junk!. but if they are good put a crap load of grease in them and put it back together! i did it and you can tell a h*ll of a lot of difference! ( i replaced 2 bushings in my linkage they were totally gone!

IMG_9621.jpg

had a quick stripdown today, swinging arm very stiff initially then freed off for some reason, did wonder if it had anything to do with taking the motor out and the lightweight caused the swingingarm to rotate further than it normally does, regreased all the linkages and it seemed fine for now

You should take the time to pull your bearings apart to clean and grease them unless you don't care about the bike