Sign in to follow this  

Removing valve cover?

I wanna take the valve cover off the head of my 02 520exc to see if the cam gear has been updated. Are there any tricks or tips for this? i serched and didnt see much. Looks to me that I just pull all the bolts that go through the cover into the head. What about the allen bolts that go sideways through the cover in line with the rockers? Anything to ba cautious of ,Dont wanna have any surprises fall into the motor....

Do a google search on the Beta 525 and you can download a pdf engine overhaul manual. It is the same as the RFS engine. The manual walks you through this step by step. There are many little details. Once you take out the 8 bolts from the top, you lift the cam box, turn it about 1/8 turn counter clockwise, and it will wiggle out over the cam. It seems like it won't come out, but it will. Don't take out the side bolts, they hold the rockers in place and those stay with the box as you remove it.

DJH on KTMtalk has a whole step by step instruction on how to do this. I did the same thing on my 2001 520 MXC this fall. While you're in there, make sure you have updated cam bearings. There was a batch of bad bearings that year and KTM doesn't know what bikes they went in. The new bearings are sealed. I had a bad one and found it only because I was replacing the water pump carrier and seals and had to pull the cam to put the updated ones in.