Sign in to follow this  

rotate xrl carb? and snorkel question

Well, thinking I'm going to replace the pilot jet and grind the mix screw in my xrl this weekend (and do snorkel and air filter) while I've got the whole thing drained from winter storage.

Wondering... do i have to completely remove carb to do so... or can I just tilt it, pull the bowl, and replace the pilot?

If so... anyone seen pic walkthroughs of this?

on the snorkel, is it just sitting? or secured in some way I have grind, drill, etc. to remove it?

Well, thinking I'm going to replace the pilot jet and grind the mix screw in my xrl this weekend (and do snorkel and air filter) while I've got the whole thing drained from winter storage.

Wondering... do i have to completely remove carb to do so... or can I just tilt it, pull the bowl, and replace the pilot?

If so... anyone seen pic walkthroughs of this?

on the snorkel, is it just sitting? or secured in some way I have grind, drill, etc. to remove it?

The snorkle has 2 rivets on top of the air box you need to drill out...then it pulls straight out...

Pull the carb out,it`s rather easy..take some pics of the vac hose routing to help when putting it back in ...leaving it in there you risk too big a chance of getting dirt in the bowl during assembly...that and you want to pull the slide and drill it,and washer the needle per Dave`s Mods..aren`t you going to change the main jet too????

B

nope, not doing full mod... just pilot, snorkel and filter. talked to someone and I can do just that and I should be ok for just resolving the lean start / cold starting problem.

You pull the snorkel without rejetting and you will be leaner than you are now! If you aren't changing the main I wouldn't pull the snorkel. But it might work out OK.

Like Dave says... I may want or need to touch the main later... but this is my starting point just to address the cold start issues. (I kinda discussed over in this ADV thread).

I may do the other mods later, but at the moment, I'm not looking for more response or power.

Snorkel and foam filter? If you are doing a foam filter, you will increase the air flow and you will need to replace your main jet. If you don't, the mixture will be way too lean. That will be bad for it.

Snorkel and foam filter? If you are doing a foam filter, you will increase the air flow and you will need to replace your main jet. If you don't, the mixture will be way too lean. That will be bad for it.

Yeah, I have trouble understanding stuff like this. "I want to mod my bike a little, mods that improve air flow. but I don't want rejet or drill the slide or anything that is easy and cheap and will improve rideability." But as long as he monitors how his bike reacts to the partial mods that is cool. I still think back to when I was shopping for my BRP. There was a used DR 650 for sale at the local dealer. It was sitting in the dealers gated yard waiting to be jetted. The dealer said that someone sold the bike to him because right after he installed an aftermarket silencer it suddenly started to run bad and he wanted to get rid of it. The dealer flat out told me he would re-jet it and sell it to me. The dealer was asking typical retail for that bike. I didn't know how long it had been run lean so I passed.

Wow Head Trauma: your new avatar says it all--"Lean can burn a hole in the piston!!!" I really am not out to beat up on anyone. Just the message. If you want to leave it stock--Leave it stock. Don't increase airflow "just a bit" because it comes from the factory so lean! Sometimes I think we are so used to cars with ECU's that adjust for changes we make to intake, exhaust etc that we forget these bikes have carbs. If we want to change things we have to jet to match the changes we make.

OK, off my soap box. Have a great weekend and get out and ride. Nevermind that this has been a 72 hour week for me:bonk: So if I ramble on and on it is because I need to do something besides work all the time!:banana:

I really am not out to beat up on anyone. Just the message.

Think of it more as "tough love." When the weather starts getting pretty warm, I guarantee that there will be more threads and new members with burned up engines here in the 600/650 forum.

thanks for the replies guys.... didn't think anyone was answering me... and now I now I'm not getting e-mail notifications on my threads (even though I've got them marked for instant)

and btw, I'm not opposed to doing the full Dave's mod... but while I'm learning to ride, I just want to keep the bike "tame" until I'm ready for it.

Anyway, I've got snorkel out, replaced the 50s pilot with a 55, but no foam filter yet. I did do a small test loop and at low speed it sounds fine, tap the throttle a bit and it bogs (like it's rich). I've got the mix screw at 2 3/4 when I reassembled.

Gonna have a couple of friends who know their stuff drop by to check things over before I proceed and dial it in this far.

BTW... I had no intention of desmogging... but after working around that crap once to get at the carb... it's goin' bye bye.

and you've beat it into me... I'll go ahead and look for a 158/160 main jet as those appear to be common sizes listed for people with similar mods to mine and similar altitudes. do i have to find both to try? or are those just "common" sizes and you get whatever's easiest to get?

friend pointed something out to me until I have the jets... I can just put the snorkel back in... duh. then I'm just a little richer on the pilot and nothing else.

thanks for the replies guys.... didn't think anyone was answering me... and now I now I'm not getting e-mail notifications on my threads (even though I've got them marked for instant)

and btw, I'm not opposed to doing the full Dave's mod... but while I'm learning to ride, I just want to keep the bike "tame" until I'm ready for it.

Anyway, I've got snorkel out, replaced the 50s pilot with a 55, but no foam filter yet. I did do a small test loop and at low speed it sounds fine, tap the throttle a bit and it bogs (like it's rich). I've got the mix screw at 2 3/4 when I reassembled.

Gonna have a couple of friends who know their stuff drop by to check things over before I proceed and dial it in this far.

BTW... I had no intention of desmogging... but after working around that crap once to get at the carb... it's goin' bye bye.

I would say it's easier to ride with the full mods- throttle control is much better, and the CV carb will never apply power so quick that you'd get a surprise out of it.

Dave

thanks.

btw, never new how hard it was to find one place with two, dumb, stinkin' little jets. Trying to get through to carbparts... but their damn phone's been busy all afternoon

Edited by Carphunter

so... I'm now at 55 pilot, 158 main, .023 shim on needle, drilled carb slide, desnorkeled, foam filter, desmogged, stock exhaust.

I've been playing with the mix screw, and am not sure I'm doing it right...so I'm searching the forums for a 1, 2 3 on how to get that set. Once done, I'll start checking the spark plug color.

Do most people tune the mix screw by ear? Or pick up a tach of some sort to do it according to the shop manual?

Btw, at the moment... my butt dyno isn't really telling me a difference in performance... but I didn't ride more than 10 miles this spring before starting the Dave's mod project.

I'm far from a jetting guru, I turn the screw in from about 3 turns out and stop when the idle starts to lower, then go 1/2 turn out.

Then, count how many turns out that is, should be between 1 and 3.

Dave

checked plug and idle last night. things seem pretty good.

overall, i now can start it, let it idle for a couple of minutes and be on my way. big improvement over the 10 minute warm ups.

Yeah, running from sea level to 3000 feet I just searched the forums and found what the average setting was for the screw adjuster. My piggie ran great and haven't changed a thing for 4000 + miles.:thumbsup:

Should note... while I didn't think I could feel the power difference (since I hadn't ridden any this season prior to the mod), I'm fairly certain there is one spot I do feel a diff... 1st to 2nd... If I'm not clean with the shift, the bike lets me know with a jolt :lol:

Has dropped... I used to make about 80 miles to the reserve tank, now I make about 73 (well, have to check a few more times as yesterday I was riding around 65 mph into a 30 mph head wind for a couple of hours....and am feeling it today :thumbsup: )

next moto-debt purchase are probably a new rear tire (rear deathwing is near end of life), and maybe a bigger fuel tank.