Sign in to follow this  

1989 kawaski kdx 200

i have a kawasaki kdx 200 and i have been having accleration problems with it and i think that it's the muffler packing and i just would like to know how to repack the muffler the right way. it is the stock muffler that came with the bike and i dont think it has ever been replaced before.

is there any other reasons that the accleration might be down that i should look into? the top end was rebulit about 2 years ago so i am guessing that it is fine. is there any other ways to make it preform better? i ride on trails mostly and sometimes i conqure mountians. but i still like the bike to get up and go when i want it to.

on more thing i am going to get a new muffler soon but right now i can't afford it. i have been looking at a pro circuit 304 factory sound silencer can any body tell me if i should get this one and if it would be worth the money.

thanks,shane

Edited by hanly95

Well, stock silencer should look like the pic below when disassembled. The packing is marked as #2 in the pic and slides over the end of part #3 that is next to it. How "packed" to put in the new stuff is a matter of guestimation IMO. I'm sure someone will come along that can explain it better than I could so I won't try! BTW, I can see the stock silencer making, possibly, a small difference in power but not so much that you should really notice it. I could be wrong on that so hopefully someone with more extensive knowledge on that subject can correct me if so.

90KDXsilencerdisassembled.jpg

Now, changing out the stock silencer won't give you much, if any, improvement in power and will probably be louder to boot. Also, the factory already has a spark arrestor (the pro circuit 304 may as well but I'm not familiar with it) which you will need when riding on public lands. Is the aftermarket silencer worth it? Not in my opinion.

Anyways, make sure your compression is good, fresh plug (BR8ES is the right plug from what I recently found out, not the BR9ES), clean air filter, good fuel, carb is clean, etc. It is all basics for the most part. Check that stuff out and let us know what you find.

power valves are a common failure point on your bike. I've replaced both the sub-valves in my 89 200 3 times.

If you pull the pipe off and the little plastic cover on the RH side of the cylinder, you can pull the kips rod by hand and look up the exhaust port to observe the valves. All three valves should operate when you move the rod. If not, you should replace them. HUGE difference with powervalves working as opposed to not working.

hey i looked at my bike and i can't quite understand were the power valves are can you tell me a little better. sorry and thanks

In the cylinder.

Most important piece of advice anyone will ever give you;

BUY A SERVICE MANUAL!!! It's really difficult to describe this stuff to someone who's never seen it.

In the meantime, go to bikebandit, servicehonda, cheapcycle parts, and look up the cylinder head / cylinder diagram under OEM parts lookup. You will see the two barrel valves (sub valves) and the main valve.

If you remove your pipe from the bike and look up into the cylinder from the hole the pipe comes out of, you will see these three valves. Pull the square plastic cover off the right hand side (as you're sitting on the bike) off and pull the rod out by hand. You can observe the movement of the 3 valves as you pull the rod.

SS109, is that your picture? If so, can I put it on my website? That is a very helpful picture for other E model owners!

Yep, it's mine. Feel free to use it any way you wish. :thumbsup: