Sign in to follow this  

PITSTER help... and ouch...

So I bought a pitster pro of a guy that built a couple crate bikes.

Was really excited to use the bike on a friends 50 track.

Anyhow, the bike has some horrible carb issues and I sort of knew that going in. I decided to adjust the float and try and make it work before ordering the mikuni 26mm VM.

Anyhow the forged kicker on the bike sucked so I took it off with the intent of using one from a CRF 50. Rolled the bike to the top of the hill I live on and bomb started it.. The bike would only run at wide open throttle, no big deal I thought I'll just ride back up and re-adjust the carb..

Turned around at the bottom of the hill to start coming back up, wide open of course..

The crank case shoots oil out the vent covering the rear tire and before I know it I'm high sided and flying through the air without any gear or helmet on..

Broke my arm and a couple ribs pretty good.

So here I lay, wondering what caused the CC back pressure to spew oil out of the vent tube.

I know it's not anyones fault but my own, but obviously I'm super bummed about not being able to ride and having a new pitbike that doesn't work.

Anyone had this oil issue before?

No one has had excessive crank case pressure issues?

Wow I'm one lucky SOB.

I get alot of splash from my vent but I put a longer tube on it and duct it out off the tail fender. If the vent is above the oil level then you are only getting splash or you have overfilled your cc. Drain tube from vents on all parts of the bike need to be properly ducted to ensure that no corrosion or unwanted lubrication gets on the bike or to the rear tire. I have found that oil can make it 2-3 feet up a vent tube and still leak out. It's just splashing... weird huh... -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

I have been looking at it while injured and the vent is pretty pinched between the frame and the CC.. I don't think it was overfull buy much as I put in 1 liter and it calls for 900ml.

But it leaked out a fair bit. You can trace it for a few hundred feet before you can see where it kicked out and high sided me.

Oh well once the arm heals up I'll order the new carb and get it sorted.

I noticed the cheap ass rear brake line it blown.. does anyone know of a good upgrade for the rear brake line?

What, the bomb start is a very technical term.

pop start, push start, and the sidesaddle backflip are all approved terminology for bomb start... A pinched tube can cause a siphon effect and acctually keep what has already splashed up in the tube leading to an overflow. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

GET BETTER...

Yeah I think I'll try and make a catch bottle for oil vapors rather then have it vent to atmosphere.

That is a sign of blow by indicating the rings are shot. You'll probably need to do a top end, at least rings.

As for the carb, sounds like the pilot jet is plugged. You will be much happier with the Mukini, but will have to play with the jetting to get it right. It's a little tricky to get the stock carbs working right. It can be done, but takes patience.

Sorry to hear about your arm and ribs, that sucks. These things can hurt you just as bad as a big bike.

Well now that I'm healed up got around to kicking the bike over, and of course the kicker broke inside the case somewhere. What a hunk of crap this bike has turned out to be. I'm not a total wanker, just figured with all the good I hear about them online they must be fun to ride. So far I haven't had the chance lol

Not to add insult to injury, but the case may be broken too. They usually break around the kicker.

The good news is they are a blast. Check out T-Bolt. They can put you into a brand new engine for around $350. Then you just ride the he'll out of it for another two years, throw that one away, and get another. We are fortunate enough to have a small pit bike track at our home and we ride nearly everyday. They are by no means on par with a Jap bike, but for the money, I feel they are worth it. A little TLC can make them last a long time.

Yeah that's the plan for now, I heard from the pitster rep, up here in Canada that they had some issues with this gpx150 and the newer mills are far better.

I'll give it a go.