Sign in to follow this  

Oil Question

I am sure this has been gone over timne and time again but since I am new gona ask it again. What oil are you guys running full synthetic, synthetic blend or regular oil??

How often do you cahnge it I will riding mostly in the desert so no tracks for a while.

Thank for the help

Maxima Synthetic Blend. I use to run Amsoil full synthetic, loved it, never had any problems, but was getting harder to get since we moved. My new dealer, swore by Maxima so I switched. Been three years and 2 bikes on synthetic blend maxima and no problems either. And it's slightly cheaper :lol:

Like everyone says, change it often. I was changing every other ride, but that was too soon for me, so now I watch the hour meter... looks like 4hrs is the magic number for my bike and my riding. I change the oil filter every other time and a clean air filter every ride.

Keep up on the maintenance and you'll save yourself $$$ in the long run :banana:

Rotella T Full Synthetic, $20 a gallon at Walmart.

Oil every 3 hours, filter every 6 hours.

Cheap insurance in my opinion.

Regular Rotella every 5 hours on the meter. Used to run synthetic Rotella every 10 hours, but that was too long (oil coming out runny and stinky).

Honda GN4 SAE 10W-40 SJ (non-synthetic).

350+ hot, nasty, dry, dusty desert hours on my "05". Routine maintenance only. Never even had the valve cover off!

Just use a good brand name oil and change it often.

There is such a small amount of oil in the engine, it`s cheap, and easy to change. Do it often. I do too, as many others have stated here. I run standard 10W40 but chage it after every two `Sunday` rides. Say about 4 to 5 hrs riding time. If I go on an epic longer ride, I change it right away before the next ride. I`ve owned my 06 since new and done it that way since new.

Maxima Synblend 4 a 50/50 blend, I change it every 2 hrs of run time also, the filter every other oil change

350+ hot, nasty, dry, dusty desert hours on my "05". Routine maintenance only. Never even had the valve cover off!

Wait a minute, how can you do routine maintenance if you dont take the valve cover off?

My 05 has never seen synthetic, switched to Rotella a few years ago. Had one intake valve get weird (at about 350 hours) most likely due to a foam air filter that tore in half on a day ride in nasty dust. The inside of my air boot looked like a clay model, man that was a bad day.

Mine had regular maintenance...including taking the valve cover off. Maybe synthetic would have kept my seals alive longer.

Wait a minute, how can you do routine maintenance if you dont take the valve cover off?

My 05 has never seen synthetic, switched to Rotella a few years ago. Had one intake valve get weird (at about 350 hours) most likely due to a foam air filter that tore in half on a day ride in nasty dust. The inside of my air boot looked like a clay model, man that was a bad day.

Mine had regular maintenance...including taking the valve cover off. Maybe synthetic would have kept my seals alive longer.

I find TDC using a chop stick down the plug hole and a piece of paper in the plug weep hole. When the paper blows out of the weep hole I'm on the compression stroke and the chop stick indicates when I get to TDC for the engine cam chain tensioner adjust.

I used the regular Suzuki 10w40 oil for first couple of changes, then switched to the Suzuki full synthetic 10w40 (green cap)... been using it ever since. I'm somewhere around 100 hours on my '06 and it still runs perfect. Change oil every 2 rides and adjust cam chain every 2 oil changes.

I actually JUST tried the Maxima SynBlend (gold label) stuff for ONE ride and hated it... The "usable" area of my clutch action went completely out the window. It was either engaged or not engaged like a light switch, no feel at all.... Switched back to Suzuki full synthetic and back to normal!

And fwiw, Suzuki oil is made by Shell....