Clutch Safety Switch Mod - For Dummies

So after reading through the FAQ thread I thought it would be great to do this mod. However, it wasn't clear to me whether I should be completing the circuit or leaving it open, so I started a thread got an answer and got down to business.

I thought it would be great to make a thread about the install in simple man's terms, seriously, I don't know why I had problems with it.

The goal: Remove the clutch safety switch and splice the wires together to complete the circuit.

Vehicle: 2009 DRZ400S

Time required: 1/2 hour

Difficulty: 1/10

Tools required: Phillips screwdriver, 2 1/2" deck screw, wire cutters, wire strippers, butt connector, utility knife.

Procedure: Following posts...

Edited by giantjoe
  • Like 5

Using a deck screw or other suitable item look underneath the clutch assembly on the handlebar. Look for the tiny hole and jam the tool in the hole, heave on the clutch switch until it comes out.

IMG_0736.JPG

Remove the wires from the handlebar using a utility knife, be especially cautious not to scratch your lovely handlebars.

IMG_0739.JPG

• Like 3

Using your trusty Phillips (star) screwdriver, insert the matching end into the bolt and twist the opposite way of the clock. That means top to the left, do i have to spell everything out?

IMG_0740.JPG

Find another one and do it again.

IMG_0750.JPG

Do it one more time on the other side, have you ever heard of symmetry? That means like a mirror has the same thing on one side and the other...

• Like 4

Have you ever heard of velcro?

It was invented by space aliens to secure things in an anti-gravity environment. A super secret government agency discovered it and sold it to the masses of humans and life hasn't been the same since...

Grab and pull fool.

IMG_0743.JPG

Chase the wire from the previously removed switch and find the connector. They were yellow wires on my bike. I don't know if that is the same on all years.

IMG_0744.JPG

• Like 3

Now it's time to really get into it. Fiddle with the connector until you manage to separate it.

IMG_0745.JPG

Take a good look at your connector, some people have said that you can just take the connector apart and plug one wire into the other, but it wasn't so on mine. The bike end had female ends on both wires and the switch end had male ends on both wires. Couldn't do that.

Help! Distress, the instructions I got were incorrect! AAAK! I will fail. OR...

Cut the wire from the switch end of the assembly, you are going to use that connector again! (thanks aspencop)

IMG_0746.JPG

Strip off the big black insulator using the utility knife, then strip the wires back using the handy part-circle section of the tool in the picture. Use the part-circle that is slightly smaller than the rubber stuff around the shiny stuff. (thanks again aspencop) Spin the shiny parts in your fingers until they are all twisty together like an ice cream cone.

IMG_0747.JPG

Put a butt connector on it and squeeze it tight using a set of pliers (crap I didn't list that tool, you probably can't complete this mod now)

IMG_0748.JPG

Edited by giantjoe
  • Like 3

Velcro - Push not pull :banana:

IMG_0743.JPG

Shroud - Push not pull?

Screws - Clockwise, that's to the right this time, start slowly, you wouldn't want to wreck those handy little items.

IMG_0740.JPG

and on the sides,

IMG_0750.JPG

Remember what symmetry is??? Do the other side too. Do I really have to tell you everything?

• Like 1

Well, you did it. :banana: Wait, no I did it, you haven't done anything yet. Get your buttocks out to the garage and do it. It'll only take you 10 minutes. Heck I did it while watching my little kid stealing all my tools.

The only reason I did all this was because I didn't know whether I should be completing the circuit or leaving it open.

Complete the circuit to bypass the clutch safety switch! That means splice the wires together; you know, make an ice cream cone out of them.?

• Like 1

Glad you did this and I saw it. I lost the key for my bike, unfortunately. Fortunately I'm in the middle of a rebuild so I don't need it. But I would like to get it all back together and NOT have to use a key; so i was thinking to take this safety and reuse the concept - at a 'secret' location to start the bike - without a key.

Excellent work Joe.

Two suggestions: 1. In step #4, you should clarify that you are cutting off the connector from the switch end, to be reinserted later.

2. Also in step #4, in the photo showing the tool that you used to cut the wire, I'd like to point out that the area of the tool just out from the cutter (the area with the wavey half circles) can be used to strip the insulation off of wire :banana:. It is much safer to use this tool over the use of the box cutter! :banana: You will however need to select the size appropriate half circle that is similar to but slightly smaller than the outer diameter of the wire insulation.

Overall, well done!?

P.S. It is very difficult to describe things at this level of understanding!

Glad you did this and I saw it. I lost the key for my bike, unfortunately. Fortunately I'm in the middle of a rebuild so I don't need it. But I would like to get it all back together and NOT have to use a key; so i was thinking to take this safety and reuse the concept - at a 'secret' location to start the bike - without a key.

I know someone who did this and installed a hidden yet accessible toggle switch in place of the key switch. Flip the toggle and press the magic button! :banana:

• Like 1

aspencop129 - You are correct, I clearly did a haphazard write up. I will never become a champion...

Actually, the utility knife was for the black cover insulator, I never even mentioned stripping the wire back using the wavy line tool with the correct size setting.

• Like 2

Your newer 09 S must be different than my 06 S. When I did mine there was no cutting or wire striping involved as the connectors were individual bullet connectors. They were even reverse sexed so all I had to do was unplug the switch and plug together the two wires left in the harness.

• Like 1

Thanks for the contribution, giantjoe!

Just a heads up, my 05 S uses male/female bullet connectors for the clutch safety switch. It was simply a matter of unplugging the harness from the clutch lever side and the bike side and then connecting the male and female connectors together on the bike side of the harness. I wrapped this connection with a little black tape to help ensure they don't come apart under the headlight cover. Then remove the remaining harness from the clutch lever, reinstall the headlight cover and I was done. No wire cutting at all!:banana:

Another minor detail, my 05 uses 4mm allen head bolts on the side of the headlight cover instead of Phillips head screws.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2009 as well, and indeed, they do not use the bullet style connectors anymore...you will need to cut.

If you don't want to cut the wires, you can make a small jumper by putting a small female connector on both sides of a short piece of wire. Now you could reverse the procedure if you wanted to sell it intact.

I am just going to cut mine like you did, but it is another option.

Good write up by the way!

Thanks, the pix make this an easy and familiar mod. The kickstand switch was bypassed similarly last week.

Sometimes I don't bother bypassing the clutch switch on Kawasakis, because you can start in neutral without having to pull in the clutch. But this KLX is a DRZ, and I hate how I have to pull the in clutch to start the bike in neutral. Can't just reach down and pull the choke while starting the bike.

• 6 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but while messing with my mirrors I seem to have busted this clutch safety wire right at the clutch... It's not completely broken but enough to where starting is hit and miss... Can I just pull the wire out from the clutch and cut it open and splice it or do I need to chase it back to the plug?