Sign in to follow this  

150sx or 250f

well, i am happy with my 08 kx 100 for the moment that i just got a few weeks ago and i plan to keep it till next winter. but i like to plan ahead and something is bugging me. i cant ick between a 1502t or a 250f. i dont want a 125 cause i just dont think it would be much faster than my kx100. i really want to get a bike that is a racing four stroke because i have never had one and they sound awesome. but i have ridden 2ts all my life and love them and i dont know if the 250fs are al they are cracked up to be. i mostly trail ride but i also race, but just not real real involved with it yet. i am perfectly fine with riding 2ts in trails and i am just very used to 2ts and can master them. i dont really even know how the racing four strokes run. and, maintenece is way cheaper on 2ts and me and my dad are unfamiliar with new 4ts so we may not kno how to work on them at first. 1502ts are legal to run with 250fs around her but i dont know why. i love 2t power but the racing four strokes seem like they would be awesome. by the way, i wont be buying either of these bikes brand new, more than likely an 07. and i know that if you ride a 2t right and keep it wide open on a track u can hang with any four stroke IMO. thanks for any input.

I have a 250F... but I miss my 2 stroke... I mostly ride motocross in the vet class...thinking to get the 150SX...unless someone can talk me out of it... I don't want to buy another 4 stroke.

A 100 is only a bored out 85. Maybe about 24ish hp coming out of it. A 125 makes about 35 hp, depending on the bike. Plus they have much more low end than a 100 (not that you should be riding the bike in that area of the power)

Are you doing MX or trail riding?

both. mostly trail though. i plan to start racing this year, may not get real big into it though.

If your racing hair scrambles, look into the 200, their suppose to be excellent woods bikes.

i dont race hare scrambles, i just trail ride alot, not race. but i ride on tracks alot and plan to try racing this year, can you race 200s on mx tracks? are they good for tht? what class would they run in?

Oh i thought you meant racing on trails like hairscrambles. For mx the 250f might be better, just becuase of the advantage they have over the 150s powerwise. It takes a good rider on a 150 to keep up with a 250f.

And a 200 would race in the 250 2 stroke/450 class

Yeah, they ARE very fun. See if you can get a ride on one of each (if you cant find a 150, a 125 is essitially the same feeling, just the 150 has a little more onion)

i will try my best to. but the more i think about it and watch videos ans look at pictures, the more im leaning to a 250f. they just seem like better all around bikes because lately everyone puts all their focus on them and 4ts just tend to be a little better for both trail and mx riding because the power is easier to lug down and manage than a 2t. and i think the four strokes(not really new now) sound awesome and i wanna find out for myself what is so great about them..

Smooth, linear power is what there all about. First time i rode a 250f (a honda) i was like wow, this thing is easy to go fast on! But it just doesnt give that same rush my 144 gives.

200 would race with the 250f's in XC racing, idk about MX though. 200 is one of the best trail bikes ever made, takes the light feel of the 125 and puts 250 2 stroke like bottom end and power band. If you add a flywheel weight it will be just as linear as a 4 stroke with more power than a 250f. You can lug a 150 pretty well, it takes clutch skill but it's easy after you've been riding for a while. I wouldn't get a 4 stroke because of the cost of maintenance, costs lots of moolah!

what is the difference between a 200exc and a 200 xc-w? and are the 200s made ith the real smooth powerbandslike kdx200s and rmx250s? or do they have like a straight up 125 or 250 2t powerband.

The 200exc is the older verson of the xc and xc-w (unless you live overseas were they still sell the exc models)

The xc has a shorter ratio gearbox and a little bit stiffer suspension, were as the xc-w has a longer ration and a softer suspension. Their might be more differences but thats all i know

And the 200s have a smoother powerband like other trail two strokes, but maybe a bit peppier than a kdx. If you want to smooth it out more than a fly wheel weight would be perfect

The 150 is sickly fast and will rip the face off a 250 4 stroke. There is no comparison between the KX 100 and the 150 SX. The KTM 150 will make the KX 100 seem like a bicycle.

i know it would. if someone knows how to ride a 2 stroke it will beat a 4 stroke anyday. and, 4 strokes are so slow they have to have 150cc more to compete with 2 strokes. lol. but my dad just dont trst ktm. he says if they were good there would be ktm dealers within 15 min from our house and u wouldnt have to have parts shipped and everyone in supercross would be riding and winning on them. but, hes never had one.

i know it would. if someone knows how to ride a 2 stroke it will beat a 4 stroke anyday. and, 4 strokes are so slow they have to have 150cc more to compete with 2 strokes. lol. but my dad just dont trst ktm. he says if they were good there would be ktm dealers within 15 min from our house and u wouldnt have to have parts shipped and everyone in supercross would be riding and winning on them. but, hes never had one.

My dad was exactly the same way, tell him KTM has won more off-road championships than all the other brands COMBINED. Your dealer probably doesn't stock all the parts you'd need for a 250f anyways. People have the misconception that it's hard to get parts for euro bikes but that's a massive myth. Yamaha still makes a 125 but it's outdated, they've been the same bike since 06'. KTM actually pays attention to their 2 stroke lines because they have a decent grip on reality, not everybody wants a POS 4 stroke!