Sign in to follow this  

Do I need to use Motorcycle oil for this bike?

Hi,

I have a 1982 Honda XL250R. Basically, it leaks and it burns oil so much that I have to fill up the oil approx every 1000KM, or less. Used to be around 2000KM that I'd change it.

Question 1) I know nothing about rebuilding engines, so what the heck do I do to fix this? Get a bike mechanic to rebuild it for several hundred dollars? Or just buy a new bike? (I do about 95% street riding)

Question 2) My favourite store stopped selling the cheap Pennzoil Motorcycle 10w-40 grade oil, and this is what my bike takes. I'm wondering, can I just throw in cheap 10-40 car oil instead? Since this thing leaks so much oil I just assumed that "any oil is better than no oil". Or what about even car 10w-30 oil? :banana:

Thank you for reading!

You can pretty much use any oil that DOESN'T have friction modifiers. That being said almost every car type oil has friction modifiers in it.

Try the Shell Rotella 15w40. They have it at Walmart its cheap and maybe a little thicker so it won't burn and leak as fast. Lots of people swear by it. No friction modfiers to make your clutch slip.