Sign in to follow this  

Yes or No,,, install Steering Damper

Well except for popping up a large rock and cracking my clutch cover the 2004 KX250 is pretty much set-up now.

Jetting is about perfect, FWW is on, Suspension seams to be plush over the chop etc.

I have a friend who baught a new WER steering damper for his 2001 XR600 and he sold the bike before he ever installed it. Years ago I traded him an air compressor for it thinking I might use it someday.

So I called WER and I can get the different mounting kit for it to work on my 04 KX for $99.....

Question is this,,,, I have never used one on a dirt bike,, is it worth doing?

Any KX riders out there like/dislike them?

thanks

Most guys seem to like them. I chose not to put one on my KX 250 (same year as yours). I do run one on my YZ but I'm too lazy to take it off. I am in the minority on this position. I find that a stabilzer is good for high speed stability but to me it's 5lbs of almost dead weight on the bars. It's up for sale if anyone's interested, Scotts unit.

Cheers, Mark

A friend of mine installed a Scotts on his 07 YZ250. IMHO, I thought it ruined the handling. I think $500 worth of suspension upgrades will improve your riding much more than a steering damper would. I think if I were ever to install one it would be a Honda damper retrofitted behind the numberplate. I see the point in having one, but to me, the cost doesn't offset the outcome.

I have a GPR and don't really like it in the woods but love it in the desert. But definately get the suspension done. But for $99 I'd do it.

Ive been using WERs since 94 on all my bikes. Currently I have them mounted on a 03,04 and 07 KX250. I ride tight woods and quite abit of rocky terrain. I like them. You may not notice it at first, unless you have it turned up all the way, but ride it for a while and then take it off, you will probably notice it then. It reduces deflection off of roots, rocks etc. and gives a subtle more controlled feeling. If you decide you dont like it, let me know if you want to sell it.

Definitely bolt it up. With the WER adjusted properly you won't even know it's there except when you need it to be.

I can't speak for that brand of stabilizer, but I will tell you that steering dampeners, IMHO are invaluable for handling. They literally take away high speed wobbles, smooth out rocky sections, and allow me to charge into braking bumps as if they are not their. The only time I would not use a steering dampener is on a supercross style tight track where your constantly hitting the bump stops when you jump. I love dampeners, the rougher the conditions, the better.

Also, they go hand in hand with great suspension. Get your suspension done before you do anything or a dampener will not be worth as much.