Sign in to follow this  

crf80/100 ideas

the more i think about it i think one of these bigger minis would fit me better.tell me if this is possible.i know in the crf70 pit bike section that guys are swapping cfr/xr 100/80 front ends so im wondering if i could swap a set of gpx forks from a pitster/piranha/ssr ect on a crf100/80 an run 14/12 inch wheel combo an have a mix bigger mini pit bike for goofing on.if this has be done i would like to see some pics even if its just the 14/12 in wheels.

bare with im new to all this an dont know much about the pit bike racing an stuff.would you be able to race this in the pit bike class for the 14/12 wheel class cause its not realy a cradle frame or do the rules go by the horizontal motors.still thinking outside the box here but maybe ktm65 front end or kx 65 or 60 front end.plus maybe a kx65 rear end could be fab up.just thinking here so give me some thoughts on it.

thanks

Kawie

I chased KTM 65 SX front end parts on ebay for about a year, before I cried uncle. Untouchable- with out deep pockets!

I personally have fitted a KX 65 swing-arm, shock and linkage on to a 100..http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842861&highlight=xr+100

RDL428 has put together a TOTALY INSANE 100 with a aftermarket fork set. Can be seen here http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753978&highlight=

Here is a pic- I saved from a fellow TT member 14/12" 100 build, I apologies for not remembering his user name.

P1080754-1.jpg

Hope this helps

Good Luck with your build, And We need plenty of pics!

gman255 what kind of mods did you have to do to fit the 65 swinger to frame,and linkage too was it pretty much a bolt on deal.how much shorter is the 65 swing than a crf80 swinger.

you are the man im not much of an old school guy but you pulled it off an ive changed my thinking on that.sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Kawie

Thanks Kawie,

The stock XR 100 linkage mount was almost doable with some spacers. I decided to fab up a new lower linkage mount. Of course a upper shock mount too

The stock 65 swing'r is 17 1/2" from center pivot to center of wheel slot.

KX Swing'r Width at pivot and bolt size is the same as the 100. Offset from- sprocket to sprocket -will need to be opened up 1/4". I offset the rear sprocket and counter sunk the mount screws (like normal rear sprocket) it also required opening up the swing-arm for clearance, and adding a extra spacer to the wheel. To follow suit, I also had to relocate the lower chain guide for alignment.

2009_01211STVIDEOTEST0023-1.jpg

2009_03221stGPZpiston0021.jpg

thanks again gman.but ive been reading up on some conversions now an think this might be another route to take.i just read youre thread on youre conversion you did an thought that you did a great job with what you had to work with.you are why im starting to think about a conversion,you inspired me.(except for the little no beer drinking punk) i love tooling around on my sons yz85 so why not.

question i have are there any better bikes to do a conversion on.(easier)

are different years easier than others.

ive read were the kx is harder cause of the perimeter frame.

i kind of like the idea of a yz or rm but not writen in stone.

i think i could do most of this except for the welding.(i would tack it)but dont trust myself to do the full welding.LOL

im still thinking about 14/12 wheels on it though.seen crf150r's with them on planetminis an think they look great.

thanks

Kawie:thumbsup:

Thanks, I wish I had the power to edit that BS out of the thread!

I have a few new addition to my bike... I will update the thread as soon as it completed.

I feel the CRF150R would be the best and easiest conversion, minumal fabrication, no need to refab the engine cradle, or tank interference. I've also hear, AJ from Service Honda is using a DRZ/KLX 125 air box intake boot too.

My- basement is start to fill up with CRF150R parts....

Search Mazz77x over at PM he may have a 150R roller for sale, in NJ.

how hard is it to bend the tubes for the frame cradle.will a cheap tube bender work.i know in the past i was show thwt you could bend tubing without kinking it by filling it with sand,wold this work.at the moment i dont have funds for this cause im doing a frame up rebuild along with the whole motor on my 2000 kx250,weather is slowing things up here cause i dont have a heated work place so im waiting to paint stuff but the weather sucks right now lol.but after this hopefully have this done buyend of april or may (HOPE).then i have my 96 kx250 that im thinking of selling to free up some cash for this project.heres some pics of the 96 i rebuilt

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

i changed the swinger to a 98 longer an stronger plus lighter.motor built from top to bottom cylinder redone by millenium tech.has boysen rad valve fmf gnarly,pro tapers,applied top clamp (not in photo) forks rebuilt ect ect.

but ive been seeing alot of 80cc 2 strokes localy for sale cheep so i might pick up something cheap to get me started.i saw a 98 cr80 for sale on craigeslist for 300 that i should have pick up but didnt.if i would of be thinking about this then i would have lol.

thanks again.

Kawie