Sign in to follow this  

California Question re "street legal" dirt bike registration

OK I know this topic has been beaten to death....please bear with me, so here goes:

I live in California and am looking for a plated, street-legal dirt bike, specifically a KTM 450/525 EXC/MXC/XC.

I notice an ad for a bike in Oregon, '06 KTM 450 EXC, plated, street-legal,

8th digit vin# is not 3 or c.

Seller will check the emissions sticker.

Is their any chance to plate this bike in California?

It all comes down to the emissions sticker. It needs to say "on road" and if I remember correctly that bike does not have it.

Only the '07 and newer 450/525/530 EXC's are emission certified. The '06 may transfer without a problem but it will not be a "legal" DS. It may never be a problem or it could get pulled tomorrow. Who knows?

06' EXC's were not "factory plated" so, it would be a crap shoot.

I was looking at an 06' EXC in CA. that had a plate but, I still had no guarantee I would keep the plate.:banana:

It wouldn't be a sure thing, but bringing in a licensed vehicle from another state is a bit different. One key is that for CA to consider a non-CARB compliant vehicle from out of state is that it must meet the criteria to be considered a "USED" vehicle, which means it has to have 7500 miles or more on it. I brought in a KTM 250 EXC 2-Smoke from Arizona few years ago, well after the current rules went into effect, and I had the guy I bought it from put down 9000 miles as the odometer reading. I took it to the CHP for the VIN verification, and they did not mark the box saying that it had the CA emissions sticker, then at the DMV when they said it was a "Green Sticker" bike I pointed out that it had been plated in AZ. The response after looking closely at the AZ Title (pink slip) was "so do you want a plate or a green sticker?" I said I'd take both, and walked out with both.

The key for me was I really would have been fine if they turned me down, it was no big deal for me on that bike. Had I been dead set on getting a plated bike I wouldn't have been confident enough to do it that way. There are some Nazi types in the DMV that will turn down anything that they don't like, and some that don't know enough about their own rules to be able to do anything right.

depends upon which DMV you go to.

The sad thing about it is this is true:bonk:

Thanks to all for your collective wisdom re this matter.

I definitely "get it" on how to proceed.

cleonard posted the definitive authority here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8600611&postcount=4

so even if someone stripped the exhaust or sticker, you would know what the original model configuration status was.

Of course, as you can tell by the repsonses, ymmv at any time with any DMV. You need to remember that no matter what happens at the local DMV, your application (or renewal) goes to Sacto for verification. Ymmv with that, too.

Someone should sticky Carl's link. (that sounds funny, doesn't it?)

For used bikes, 7500 miles or not, they were looking for CARB compliance last I checked, so out-of-state strategies would be no longer valid.

That leaves "special construction", legal conversions, and pre-1979 as legal routes. Lots of BS posted about "special construction" around here and elsewhere.

CARB issues dont apply on out of state used vehilces over 15 mos old and or 7500+ miles. The cars and bikes sold in other states are not CARB compliant (in most cases, tho it is starting to change to CA rules) and cars dont have to be "CARB" compliant. They have to be US federally compliant in many areas to be imported. Dont get confused on CARB, it doesnt apply to the above mentioned vehicles, just the federal rules for import.

CARB issues dont apply on out of state used vehilces over 15 mos old and or 7500+ miles. The cars and bikes sold in other states are not CARB compliant (in most cases, tho it is starting to change to CA rules) and cars dont have to be "CARB" compliant. They have to be US federally compliant in many areas to be imported. Dont get confused on CARB, it doesnt apply to the above mentioned vehicles, just the federal rules for import.

To refine that just a little further over 7500 miles the bike must have at a minimum a 49 states ON-ROAD emission sticker. Under 7500 it must have a CA or 50 states ON-ROAD emission sticker.