Sign in to follow this  

Hard Anodizing Stock Clutch Componants

Has anybody hard anodized their stock clutch baskets, pressure plate, etc. I was thinking of taking them out of a brand new bike and have that done to see how long it lasts compared to the average stock componants.

wow that's cool, were would get that done? I know moose are pretty much anodized stock baskets, might be cheaper just getting one of those.

the moose is billet ,, but it would be cool to get stock components done up. one probl i s though , though they are soft er die cast and might wear anyway

Look into cryogenics

Cryogenically treating metal parts which see high load has been common practice in the 4wheeling world for some time. Mostly gears and axles. If i understand it, heating and freezing rapidly the metal coverts some of the 'bad' bits in the steel to 'good' bits which results in a more homogeneous steel. More homogeneous would equal stronger although perhaps more brittle. I'm not sure if it would also be more resistant to wear though. See Link

I am interested though to hear more about hard anodizing of a clutch basket. This may actually work. I know that some high end gun parts use this process or a similar one to extend life. See Link on 'ionbond'

:banana:

Anodize will provide a very hard wear surface but it is very thin and the AL can deform from the loads. Best solution would be to heat treat the basket to harden the AL and then anodize for a hard wear surface.

i saw, but don't rmember where, a clutch basket with a steel surface on the edges of the basket fingers to prevent the disk from wearing into the AL.

I've hard anodized the pressure plate and clutch inner before Hinson had parts available,I found the difference in wear to be about 3 to 1.