Sign in to follow this  

California Another Ca. Plate question...

I've go a line on an 08' Beta RR 525 that's plated. What are the chances of loosing the plate when I go to reg. it in my name??? I know the RS plate isn't an issue but, the RR didn't come with the factory plate.

Anyone with real-world experience reg. an RR in California would be great.:banana:

Also, given the opportunity would you choose to add a full Leo Vance header and pipe or a steering stabilizer for the first mod????

Buy a legal one, and you will sleep at night. I would only buy special construction with salvage title or a factory d/s. I wouldn't buy a new generation motor, only the RFS. Don't know which that bike above has.

I wouldn put any mods on it, WHY would you need it. as far as power mods, get to the point that you can run it around at full throttle all day then worry about it. Proper suspension set up negates a stabilizer. Haven't needed one yet. But then agian I have never had one, so I don't know what I am missing. Get it ride it. put 500 miles on it before you do anything. Min is all stock except the protection, and old man grip heaters, and I haven't even considered needing more power.

Here is something interesting. Street legal KTM 200

http://redding.craigslist.org/mcy/1607006011.html

Whats the problem Mike?

You find an 06' that doesnt go thru and you jump to an 08' Beta. seems like there would be plenty of factory plated bikes in same range???

[QUOTE=damone;9280423]Whats the problem Mike?

You find an 06' that doesnt go thru and you jump to an 08' Beta. seems like there would be plenty of factory plated bikes in same range???

Not at the price I'd get this one for. The Beta is just an "old style" KTM motor with with Husky forks and jap linkage.

Buy a legal one, and you will sleep at night. I would only buy special construction with salvage title or a factory d/s. I wouldn't buy a new generation motor, only the RFS. Don't know which that bike above has.

I wouldn put any mods on it, WHY would you need it. as far as power mods, get to the point that you can run it around at full throttle all day then worry about it. Proper suspension set up negates a stabilizer. Haven't needed one yet. But then agian I have never had one, so I don't know what I am missing. Get it ride it. put 500 miles on it before you do anything. Min is all stock except the protection, and old man grip heaters, and I haven't even considered needing more power.

Here is something interesting. Street legal KTM 200

http://redding.craigslist.org/mcy/1607006011.html

I agree I would like to find a factory DS but, don't want to spend 6k on bike 2 or 3 years old. I like the ktm 525 motor and was also thinking about the 450 but, I think I wouldn't be "as" happy with the 450 especially if I got into DS riding.

Z, isn't your bike an 05'? if so, aren't you worried about loosing the plate? I know you said that the bike was plated from the start and a cop owned it previously and hadn't had any issues. This bike sounds like a similar story to your bike. The guy owns a bike shop, bike has been plated from the start. This bike, like your bike techniquely shouldn't have a plate either....right???

Thanks for the help.

Not at the price I'd get this one for. The Beta is just an "old style" KTM motor with with Husky forks and jap linkage.

Well actually there are more differences than that between a Beta and KTM. It is the tried and true, dependable KTM RFS engine, but it has a different exhaust, uses the Marzocchi forks, Sachs Shock with linkage, and a completely different frame. In my opinion the Beta turns and handles way better than a KTM, and I've been riding KTMs for years and just got another one. I wanted a Beta too, but couldn't get a deal done on a plated one on my budget, so I went with a KTM 525 instead.

On your original question, it just depends on if you are willing to take the risk. I got a good enough deal on my 2005 525 that I went for it, same kind of deal where it was plated from day one, never a problem with renewals, etc. I don't know that I will ever be 100% confident that shit won't happen though. The DMV here in the People's Republic of California may one day decide "Your papers are not in order!" no matter what you have.

Youve got your plate. There is a very small chance the DMV will screw you out of it. One thing I have always made sure to do is change the title at AAA.

Going to the DMV would be considered risky.

I have an 04 husky with a street plate. I changed my title over no ploblem.:banana:

Well so far so good. take the normal precautions. Mine is not a KTM, is is SALVAGED. big difference to a computer.

Get a bike, ride it if they yank the plate in 3 years, well it was time for a new bike anyway. there is too much worrying on forums. 450 525, essentially same damn thing. don't split hairs, non of us are that good. if wear out a 450 and decide that the 525 was the way to go, well then you know, and you won"t have a bnch of A holes telling you what you already know. I would have jumped on a 450 in a heartbeat if the deal was right. one rebuild and you can hae a 525, new head and piston and you are off to the races.

You buying itt commute or ride in the dirt, if its a commuter, then buy a drz 650 or a xl 650 otherwise, you know the answer.