Sign in to follow this  

feeler gauges how much force?

hi i have finally got a good pair of feeler gauges(so i think) so how much friction should be when sliding it in on a 01 yz 250f

i've heard put a gauge in the middle of a phonebook, and thats the right force

but it seems a bit light

anyone got any other methods

it doesnt matter.

just stick one in.. if its loose, stick one size bigger in, etc...

if its too tight, just go one size smaller and it SHOULD fit (unless you started with a giant size). it shouldnt take too much force, if it takes a lot, just go one size smaller until it finally does fit, and consider that your measurement.

your feeler gauge set should have approx 20-25 different sizes, and towards the smaller end of the spectrum their increments are very tiny so theyre very accurate. just bend the last inch or so and it makes them way easier to get under the cam lobes.

you should just feel a little drag, if you can get it in ok and and just about move it around then its the one

You might be onto something there with the phone book thing. You reckon it ought to be from a town of 1000, or one from metropolitian New York?

ok ill pick town of 1000 and stick it between page 3 and 4

then ill pick NY and stick it between page 3 and 4... so whats the diff?

point is, theres WWAYY too many variables with the phone book trick. on the other hand, who here can rip a phone book in half? quite simple actually...

ok ill pick town of 1000 and stick it between page 3 and 4

then ill pick NY and stick it between page 3 and 4... so whats the diff?

point is, theres WWAYY too many variables with the phone book trick. on the other hand, who here can rip a phone book in half? quite simple actually...

Well, so much for the old tongue-in-cheek approach...:banana:

You are right, though, about there being too many variables with that method. After an adulthood of using feeler gauges off and on as necessary, I still second guess myself on how much drag is correct. I tend to lean toward the "light" drag method.

If you can get a particular gauge in there is somewhat more clearance than that size. If you can't then there is somewhat less.

It aint that critical.

If the feeler gauge slides in with no effort its too small.

Just fit the largest one you can in there without using alot of effort.

You will feel a lil pop like drag with the correct one. You'll know your doing it right when you do it.

For checking valve clearances on some bikes it's best to get a feeler that has an angled tip.