Sign in to follow this  

vertically challenged WR 250 F Riders!!

Greetings! As the new thread states I am one of those who are vertically challenged, 5'3'' without riding boots on, 160 lb, 47 year old man. I am currently riding a 06 CRF 150F and love it, but I was bitten by the bug about 4 months ago and the only cure appears to be a 09 WR 250 F. I can get a great deal on a brand new one, but the seat height is a serious issue. I have done some research on the Yamalink which seems to be a little help, 1.75" rear wheel lowering and adjusting the forks up 6mm, but I'm still not ready to pull the trigger just yet. Looking for someone who has the same issue, someone close to my height. I have also read shaving the seat, down a 1" (anyone shaved more than that? how did it work out?)

I read a article in dirtrider magazine where they did a lot of mods to the 06 150f and supposedly it did wonders to it, ( new air box, bigger carb, Q-4 FMF silencer, heavier front fork springs, new rear shock, Baja Lighting kit) I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Any one done anything like that to "little red?"

Thanks

i am 5'10 and for the last 30 have not bought any bike but pre 1982..why,,they are all too damn tall and i suspect many injuries people have are absolutly due to stupidly ridiculous seat and bike heights...its been going on since 1983 and there appears to be no end in sight..i am surprised lawsuits have not forced this issue but i in no way support assine lawsuits and yes we need tort reform..but its only a matter of time and by then who knows the japs may have there ass even handed too em over this issue....buy and old 2 stroker and fix it up...they are far more pleasurabe to ride then the 10 story tall i cant work on em takes my 2 hours to change a spark plug the crap we have today...i am with you on this issue and it is time for the manufactures to start listening and build bike that make sense..

I'm 5'5" and 145-150lbs, depending on how big dinner was. :banana:

I'm 44 years old.

I've had to put up with tall seat heights all my life, but, to be honest, I've simply got on and rode.

I have a 2009 WR-250F, and all I did to the bike as far as seat height goes was to set the sag (done by adjusting the rear spring preload) to achieve 100mm with my butt in the seat.

Since the preload was reduced to get the 100mm sag for my weight, the seat height came down a little bit, which helped.

Other than experimenting with the damping clickers a bit to suit me, the suspension is stock.

Don't forget to set the sag for your weight before you look for alternatives. :lol:

If the bike is still too tall for you no matter what and you still want a 2009 WR-250F (and I can't blame you because I really like mine), I'd have a suspension shop lower each end 2 inches.

I'd bet that 2 inches feels like 2 miles, and would probably make you feel much better. :banana:

As for bikes getting taller and taller, well, they've had this much suspension travel since 1980 or 1981 with the full-sized motocross bikes, and the competition enduro and dual-purpose bikes a few years after that.

So, that ain't anything new.

What is a bit more recent is the trend toward flatter seats for easier rider mobility while on the move (as in going fast on a motocross track or off-road course).

Take a look at a pic of a 1983 or 1984 YZ-125 or YZ-250 and see the deep slope in the seat.

No more.

Compare to a pic of the 2009 WR-250F. :banana:

denbsteph, there are lowering links for the WR but keep in mind they will cause some loss in suspension performance. Of course if you're not doing serious trail riding then it probably wouldn't be an issue for you. You can also shave the seat if you needed a little more reach (keep in ind there isn't much cushion to begin with). But being 5'3" is going to be a stretch even on a 125 2 stroke. But people do it and make it work for them. I suggest going into the WR forum and see if anyone else in your height range has issues and what they might of done to help with them.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

i am 5'10 and for the last 30 have not bought any bike but pre 1982..why,,they are all too damn tall and i suspect many injuries people have are absolutly due to stupidly ridiculous seat and bike heights...its been going on since 1983 and there appears to be no end in sight..i am surprised lawsuits have not forced this issue but i in no way support assine lawsuits and yes we need tort reform..but its only a matter of time and by then who knows the japs may have there ass even handed too em over this issue....buy and old 2 stroker and fix it up...they are far more pleasurabe to ride then the 10 story tall i cant work on em takes my 2 hours to change a spark plug the crap we have today...i am with you on this issue and it is time for the manufactures to start listening and build bike that make sense..

I'm 5'10" and have no issues with my WR250 mainly because of how it carries it's weight. My DRZ400S on the other hand caused me to have a few tipovers if I didn't watch my footing as once that pig started going to the side it was hard to stop her. That bike is VERY top heavy but lower seat height than my WR. The weight and more importantly how it carries it's weight is what causes the issue more than seat height IMO.

I don't know where you're getting two hours to change a spark plug or that you can't work on them. These bikes, although being modern high performance, aren't overly complicated to get to the motor or do basic maintenance. It takes me less than 10 minutes to pull both shrouds and remove the fuel tank to gain access to the top of my WR's motor. Less than that if I don't bother pulling the shrouds completely from the tank.

i am in the same predicament of other short asses here :banana:. I had the Wr250 on my shortlist + a lowering link. I've since moved away from my WR fetish and had a look at the kwakas. The Kawasaki KLX450R has a seat height of 935mm. It's a bigger engine yes but i'd take a bigger engine with a shorter seat height any day of the week.

WR250f seat height = 990mm, weight 118 kg wet

KLX450R seat height = 935mm, weight 126 kg (curb, not sure if that means wet)